1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy guru's needed to solve problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BAMP, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BAMP

BAMP Junior Member

I've got a 97 chev 1500 ext.cab 4x4 with the 5.7L vortec engine.
    The problem is,sometimes when I step on the gas quickly truck will start sputtering and will stall if I hold peddle down.have to let off peddle and truck goes back to idleing fine.If I excellerate very slowly it works fine.almost seems like an injector problem,vapour lock or clogged fuel filter,but filters been changed.Im stumped!:confused:
    It does this more often if gas tank is near empty.and when it starts doing this I pull over and open gas cap and let out the pressure then it's fine for abit again.
    Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Try a new gas cap.start there.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Fuel pump, my 98 did the exact same thing. So many people told me it wasn't the fuel pump. Finally changed that and problem solved.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My 96 is on its 3rd pump.

5. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

My 98 did the same thing. FUEL PUMP

6. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

You should check the fuel pressure. It needs 50psi minimum to run. Should be 55-60psi when you turn the key on before starting. Like mentioned before, most likely the fuel pump, but Diagnose it first. Don't just throw parts at it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  7. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

They are also known for bad crank sensors, and almost identical symptoms as fuel pump.

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Try the fuel cap first..Cheap start..

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Fuel pump is my bet too. My 99 Z71 did that to me for a couple weeks and then left me stranded. Fortunately for me I got stranded at home

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Fuel pump.

11. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.

12. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Fuel pump. Will happen more when tank is empty because the pump will warm up. You can verify this by driving with a pressure gauge - it's easy to hook up to the pressure line with a gauge snaked up through the back of the hood by the wipers. Watch that gauge while driving, chances are it'll fall on its face when you hit the throttle.

13. RS69

RS69 Junior Member

I went through three fuel pumps on my old gas truck, replaced every couple of years.