1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy / GMC vs. Ford

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Fishbone-68, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Fishbone-68

Fishbone-68 Junior Member
    from Chicago

The old man wants to start plowing this year. He is looking for a pick up truck and several people keep telling him NOT to buy Chevy or GMC 2500 because the frames are weak compared to a Ford F250. My guess is it depends on how big of a plow you use & how hard you are on the truck and equipment...Any thoughts?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

As with anything else- if you abuse it, it WILL break! If you're the kind of guy who smashes into frozen snow piles, with a 9' plow on a diesel CC 2500HD, yes, you MIGHT have an issue. However, as with anything else- if you're good to your equipment it'll be good to you- don't beat on it and you'll be fine!

As for ford- they're known for cr@pping out trannies, losing turbos and frying heads- as well as spontaneously combusting (on older ones). Personally, I'm a GM guy- in a GM family- so naturally I'd recommend a 2500HD over a f250!ussmileyflag

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I can only imagine the responses you're going to get here... Nothing like a good Ford/Chevy debate...

Ford crapping out trannies? Funny, we had 3 2500HD's with less than 40k on them in the shop all at once for trannies... 83k on my oldest torqueshift and it still performs as good as it did new. :redbounce

Chassis wise, a solid front axle Ford will stomp an IFS chevy any day of the week in terms of durability and weight carrying for plowing. How many chevy's do you see sporting Blizzard 8611lp's? :rolleyes:

4. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Check the forums. Twice as many on chevy for advise than on the ford.:redbounce

5. Fishbone-68

Fishbone-68 Junior Member
    from Chicago

mklw,

That is the way I feel too when comes to abusing the equipment. My 89 Jimmy has been very good to me & I don't pound on it. As the for the rust, well that is a whole different topic.

And wizardsr, "all three 2500HD is the shop at once", well who was driving them? Most guys who plow with other people's equipment don't treat it as their own...could be why the trannies went. And it also could have been a bad batch of trannies from the factory as well.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No problem F250 with a 9.2 Boss V plow..Then go have some fun plowing!

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They are all good trucks. I prefer GM's for the comfort and the look, and I like their diesels better. I've plowed commercially for over 10 years with newer GM trucks and have never had a single major issue. 1 trans in a 99 half ton, but that's a given with any brand half ton truck.

Fords are stout trucks..........I just don't care for them as much.

8. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I am a GM guy who comes from a GM family so I would say get a 2500hd I have a 8'6" V plow on mine with over 170K and still going strong. The truck has been worked(not beat) its whole life

GM's, have a nicer ride and a tighter turning radius, they also sit lower so they have better visibilty. The IFS is also a lot easier to work on a wheel baring takes about 30 minutes(try that with a ford). They don't have frame problems if you install the proper gussets (do a forum search)

Ford's are about as technologicaly advanceed as a roman chariot. They have bigger cabs(which is nice) They are also cheaper

hope that helps

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

That is only because we have a GM expert and no one here to figure out the rest.:jester:
    Thanks B&B:drinkup:

10. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Neither are bad. Are you buying new or used? If I was buying used I wouldn't rule out either one. I would make your decision based on condition and what's available in your area. If you're going new, go test drive them and buy the one you like better. You'll be driving it so you need to be happy with it.

11. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Duct Tape and Bailing wire fixes just about anything on a Ford. That's why we don't need experts.

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hahahaha- "fords dont need no stinkin' mechanic."

13. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I'm a GMC guy from a GMC family. But in addition to my 2500HD CCSB Duramax Allison, I also have an 88 F250 v8 5 spd and a 99 F250 Super Duty V10 5spd. The Super Duty rides horribly rough, holds a load well, is roomy, has plenty of power and feels very utilitarian. Its my monday thru thursday truck. The 88 rides well but doesnt hold a load very well at all and is about as gutless as they come, but it can sit all year until it snows and fire on the first lick. The GMC rides great, holds a load great, handles great, gets far better fuel mileage than the fords, is more comfy in almost every aspect and is my weekend rig. It can do everything the others do, but I mind knocking a fender off of the ford alot less than the GMC, lol.

For a plow only rig, I love the superduty and i love the v10. for everything else, id rather have the gmc. so if i had to choose 1 truck to do it all, id still choose the gmc hands down...but if I already had a daily driver that i liked...id probably lean toward the ford.

Havent had any major mechanical issues with any of them, i have however noticed obvious design flaws in all of them.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  14. rondoo98

rondoo98 Junior Member

i worked at a ford shop /new car dealer ill just say that i would never buy a ford, my 2 pennys

15. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

That's because it's practically OEM equipment.:waving:

16. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

whatever you do DONT buy a 6.0 or 6.4 ford diesel, it will S H I T all over you.:nod:

17. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

A quote from a buddy of mine

"its an '03 with a 7.3 it was the last year before they opened the hood removed the engine and and took a steaming dump"

18. ROsborne

ROsborne Junior Member

I've got a 6.0 powerstroke and the only issues i had with it was the head gaskets took a crap and that was @ 86k. I've got 161k on her right now and I have had NO PROBLEMS what so ever with the torqueshift. And I'm also putting darn near 500hp to the ground with NO2, and the tranny is completely STOCK. The 97 F350 in my sig is a dually with a L-pack tool box, dump bed and weighs in @ 10800lbs just had to rebuild the tranny in it last year cause ever since we bought it new in 97, it's hauled that weight around plus plowing since day 1. The 03 chevy has gone through 3 sets of ball joints, 2 wheel bearings, 3 trannys, countless U joints, and 1 rearend. That's all in 173k mi. The 06 wasnt as bad, just the flywheel center sheared out of it, no big issue there:laughing: Good thing it was covered under warranty.

19. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

my buddys F350 6.0 just broke the crankshaft in two after putting injectors and a new turbo on it. all that after having the tranny replaced. no programmer. with the 6.0 it seems like you get one that you never have to work on, or you get one you ALWAYS have to work on...no happy medium.

20. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ford vs. Chevy? I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more hostile than this..

I'll say the same thing most guys say here, I am a GM guy. I like how the drive, look, handle, ride, and I have become loyal to them because of that. Also, my family history has deep roots in the GM company so I could never stray from it. A family gathering consists of 15 GM vehicles in the driveway haha.

I will also say that I would buy a Ford for work WAY before I would buy a Dodge. I know to many people who have been there and have come to my own conclusion that they are a joke for work.