1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy/GMC UniMount Truck Side Frame

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by linckeil, Sep 10, 2013.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have a western unimount truck side frame part # 1545. see this link:

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13591_111894.pdf

now i'm trying to figure out exactly what trucks this mount fits. As the link above states, it fits 88-94 chevy/gmc light trucks. seems simple enough, right?

well i've had people tell me it won't fit 1500's or light duty 2500's with 6 lug wheels, i've had others say it will fit all 1500's-3500's, i've heard from others that it will also fit later trucks up to 2000 or 2001 without any problem....

so i'm hoping a western/chevy expert can tell me for sure the models and years this mount will fit.

and to further complicate things, the western website also lists another mount (# 1585) as fitting 88-00 chev/gmc light trucks.:dizzy:

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, that is the first version of the 88 body style chevy 15/25/3500 mount. when the '95's came out with airbags this design did not pass the crash test. I think it was actually too strong and wouldn't collapse enough to let the airbags release. therefore, it's not safe to use on trucks with airbags of the 95-98 model years.

as for 99+, it wouldn't be close to working on any silverado/sierra body styles. so the only thing people could be talking about there would be the occasional truck that was built in 99-01, but that is still the classic 88 body style truck. but again, you shouldn't use that particular mount on them either.

and this is all assuming that your mount looks like the pic you posted a link to. I actually don't see them very often in recent years. hope that helps.

3. linckeil

from CT

ok - thank you, this is starting to make some sense to me.

so up until 1995, the 1545 mount covered all 88-94 chevy/gmc light trucks - whether it be a 1500, 2500, 3500.

then in 1995 gm introduces air bags on trucks with a GVW under 8500 pounds. As a result, western redesigns the mount as there was some concern the 1545 mount would be prone to accidently deploying an air bag. Hence the 1585 mount was introduced in 1995, and the 1545 was discontinued.

and i'd agree that the 1545 mount is stronger than the 1585 mount - it looks like a much beefier piece.

But the fact is both mounts will fit all 88-98 light trucks (and some up to 2000 that were the "classic" body style), although it is recommended that trucks equipped with air bags do not use the 1545 mount.

i think that about sums it up - does that sound about right?

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, you've got it exactly right. except I wouldn't say it would fit later years for sure, since they didn't keep test fitting it on later years.

but yea, the frame is basically the same, so a person should be able to get it on there if they insisted on using that one.

hey, it looks like you and I both joined the forum at almost the same time! sweet.

5. linckeil

from CT

thanks and happy 7-year anniversary!!!

6. linckeil

from CT

ok - one more question on this 1545 mount. so we know it will fit 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks - but will it fit a 3500HD 2wd? The 3500HD's had larger rims (19.5" i beleive), and had a filler plate in between the front bumper and grill that was not seen on a non-HD 3500. Here's a picture of a 3500HD in case I am not explaining it well.

So the ultimate question is: will a western frame that fits a 88-00 1500/2500/3500 also fit the 3500HD models (that are still the "classic" old body style)?

ng_640.jpg

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

8. linckeil

from CT

i figured the HD's would have a different frame. thanks.

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes like nealy posted its different and also the 2wd were different than the hds !