1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy/GMC Ultramount owners

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PreFabber, Jan 18, 2007.

1. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

I just put an 8' Ultramount Pro on an '04 GMC 2500HD Duramax. I also own a Boss and wanted to put one on this truck, but from what i could tell would have to cut the front valance. I have actually yet to use the Western to plow and i am already very dissastified with the unit. I have turned the torsion bars up 4 turns, and have to struggle to get the the plow on and off the truck because there is no more adjustability left in the mushroom feet for when you dismount the plow. The second complaint would be that the plow will not lift to its full potential because of the extra brace on top of the A-frame. It will be impossible to stack snow. I'm actually afraid that it will not lift high enough to get above some curbs. Another thing i find from just testing the plow on the truck, is that the hydraulics are quite slow in comparison to my Boss. Now i have found that in more recently posted pictures that it is possible to mount a Boss on a GMC and not have to severly modify the lower valance.
    Will all that said, i'm asking if i am the only one having these problems and if i'm doing something wrong or not. I appreciate any help from fellow Chevy/GMC Western Ultramount owners.
    If there is no way to cure these problems, i am considering selling this unit as basically brand new if anyone is interested. I just won't put up with spending thousands of dollars for poor engineering.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What configuration are you using on the pivot plate's and pin's? (1,2,3,or 4?) What was your installed height measurement? (from the ground to top of the receiver's) If the correct configuration is not used it will cause the problem's your experincing.

3. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

B&B

Had a little more luck dismounting the plow tonight. The mushroom stands actually went down about a 1/4"-1/2". I thought about those adjustments for mounthing height in the plow. I thought i set them in the ones my dealer told me too, but maybe they're off. Do you know which one i should have them set on for that particular truck? I'm going to try adjusting them tomorrow.

p.s. finally got to salt here in SE PA and used the Tornado for the first time. I pretentioned the belt and it performed perfectly. It's a very nice unit.

4. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

It sounds to me like you don't have the correct configuration (1,2,3,4). Mine goes on and off with ease. I also dont have the stop brace installed on mine, no problems stacking. As far as slow hydralics go, I can't speak for that. I have had both boss and western and the speed is almost the same. Hope you can sort it all out man!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Prefab, if you give me the measurement from the ground to the top of the receiver's I can tell you what configuration you need to set the plow at. You need to load the truck just how your going to plow with it before taking this measurement. This mean's any ballast or a spreader has to be on the truck for the measurement to be accurate. Also, if you need to use the #1 or #2 configuration Western state's to remove the "stack stop". This will allow the plow to lift higher.

6. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Yup, take off the stack stop (brace). I think there's 2 bolts that hold it on. Western's web site has the literature for each mount configuration. Mine was on a Ford before I put it on my '02 2500, wow, what a difference! I had to make some major adjustments. Also, on the storage feet, I think there are roll pins that adjust how far the feet drop. Again, check the publication library on Western's website. All I can say is I'm happy with mine. Good Luck, Marc

7. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Like i said before, i have the storage feet adjusted all the way up with the roll pins, so nothing to gain there. I never installed the stack stop, so nothing to gain there either. I guess what it comes down to is the (1,2,3,4) adjustment. From the ground to the center of the pins on the pockets is about 12.75".

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, for that measurement you need it in the number "1" configuration. The roll pins need to be in the lowest hole in the shoe's.(sound's like you did that already ) Do you have the configuration diagram's to view?

9. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

B&B

I made the adjustment today to the number one configuration on the pivot bar side plates. Made all the difference in the world in the lift height. I ran the plow through all it's motions a bunch of times after that and the hydraulics seemed to speed up a bit. I assume that there were still some air pockets in the system from the initial filling at installment since the plow has actually yet to be used. Still when i dismount the plow, I barely have to push down the mushroom plates with them adjusted all the way by means of the roll pin. It just seems that there should be a little more freedom there for odd terrain dismount. As long as there is a little and it goes on and off easy, I shouldn't really complain. So it looks like everything should work out fine from here out, I'm just dissapointed in myself that i had the pivot bar mounted wrong. Guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but we all know how it goes when something doesn't work just right. Thanks again for your help.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear the configuration change got you all fixed up.It make's all the difference and really affect's the ease of mounting and dismounting of the plow as well as the lift height.Even with the limited adjustment you have in the shoe's you should still be OK on uneven terrain.Adding a set of Timbren's would help in your application too.

11. Derf

Derf Junior Member

Ultramount

I'm using a 2003 7' 6" Standard on my 2001 Yukon 1500. Works great. I added the Timbren's and it holds pretty even. I was told I was putting to much plow on the Yukon, but I got a great deal on the plow. I'm very happy with it, on - off is a breeze. I drop it on a plow caddy and roll it to the back of the garage. I might add, I'm not a commercial plower, just have a 400' driveway. You will like the Ultramount :)