1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy & GMC Frame Problem needs your attention

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KSB, Oct 25, 2008.

1. KSB

KSB Member

Attention: If you are plowing with a chevy Of GMC 2500 HD or 3500 newer than 1999 you should be very concerned about your frame breaking. In my small valley in Vt last winter we had 25 such broken frames from trucks ranging in year from 2000 to 2008. I would stronly suggest converting to Ford or Dodge as soon as you can, or at least finding a good welder to rienforce and gusset the control arm ponts on your frame. You will be sorry if you do not act. General Motors will not help you at all even though they know they have a severve engineering problem. PS. I love my new Ford.

2. VBR

VBR Member

wow that sucks.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This isn't exactly news, GM corrected the problem ages ago with gussets but unfortunately not all of them seem to have them. I don't have one of those trucks so I never read up on them.

If you actually check over your equipment between storms you can catch it very early and repair it, better still do a search on this problem and you'll find many pictures of failures, repairs, and corrections and check yours BEFORE something breaks, and if you don't have the updated gussetting consider having it installed as cheap insurance.

Switch to a Ford or Dodge? What for? So you can have a broken everthing else too? :D

4. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

My '98 2500 developed cracks at the front control arms and I had welded plate and gusseted also. Not just the newer trucks! gotta watch the older ones too.

I will never switch to Ford or Dodge!

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I heard about the 90s trucks having that problem, so since I carry a heavy plow and do a lot of off-road plowing, I watch mine closely, no problems so far.

Here's my view on the other part of the post: I towed for years, and worked for an independant garage, so I saw firsthand how absolutely terrible the Ford frontends are. I've towed F-150s thru F-350s because of failed tie-rods and balljoints many times. Ford cannot seem to make a front axle that is not total junk. The balljoints especially, ridiculously low miles, even when not on plow trucks. My sister's excursion needed them at 70,000 miles, and it's just a soccer mom truck, not worked at all. And locking hubs? Give me a frickin' break, what century is this? Back when I was a kid and GM pioneered the shift on the fly, they had a few problems at first, which gained them the bad rep and made uninformed people like locking hubs all the more. However, that was a long time ago. I replaced locking hubs in every old Chevy I ever plowed or wheeled. My 97 IFS shift on the fly has not had one bit of trouble, and I've pounded it worse than any of your pu$$y Fords could handle. So please don't come here and tell us to buy Ford or Dodge, and I won't go into the Ford forum and make fun of Ford's complete inability to build a four wheel drive front axle.

6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

It's a minor point, but Ford has never built a front axle. They buy them from Dana. The same company that's built front axles, rear axles, transmissions, and transfer cases for all 3 truck makers for several decades now. You have a 100% chance of finding a Dana transfer case in your Chevy truck so bad-talking Ford's ability to make front axles indirectly bad-talks Chevy's ability to make a transfer case. Hmmm. Come to think of it, we do have a million threads about t-case oil pumps chewing their way out from the inside...

My point here is that bad-talking and waving a brand-bashing banner is not very productive. Every truck has it's strengths and weaknesses. I own an old F-350 and a newer D-Max 2500HD. It's not really fair to compare them due to 18 years of age difference, but I prefer the Chevy. What a surprise, huh? But I'm not about to give up my Ford because it has strengths that my Chevy can't touch. For example, a dumping flat bed with the ability to load 4 pallets. It's also ugly enough that I don't worry about scratching it..

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I think he's talking about the TTB axles? Pretty sure they are a straight up Ford design that uses a Dana pumpkin and thats about all I thought.

Does Dana own New Process? If not....?

Agreed though, all trucks have highs and lows.

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

I thought there were supposed to be cracks there because of the unibody construction. The frame is supposed to be one piece?:confused:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

162,000 hard, diesel engine, Blizzard carryin', off-road 4 wheel drivin', oversize tire havin' truck pullin' miles on the original ball joints, tie-rods and front CV axles.

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Honest I went to look at my Uncle's Lincoln Mark LT for that.

They have more reinforce than this one

For those TBB are worst one that why they went to solid axle for super duty truck. What cause problem when someone keep drive bad road and put oversize tires cause worn out faster.

DetroitDan

Keep mind that there are no D*mn best truck in world. They alway have problem.

11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

''It's a minor point, but Ford has never built a front axle. They buy them from Dana. The same company that's built front axles, rear axles, transmissions, and transfer cases for all 3 truck makers for several decades now. You have a 100% chance of finding a Dana transfer case in your Chevy truck so bad-talking Ford's ability to make front axles indirectly bad-talks Chevy's ability to make a transfer case. Hmmm. Come to think of it, we do have a million threads about t-case oil pumps chewing their way out from the inside..''

Actually,the real point here is that GM years ago decided to go IFS for a more comfortable ride while still using beefy enough components to let everyone know you were in a truck--very still able to do everything trucks are supposed to do.Ford, on the other hand chose to stay with their bone jarring,able to cross 3' ravines/streams,etc. solid axles to keep their trucks looking tougher and more manly. Big deal.The only problem I ever had was replacing some early 90's hubs as Detroitdan alluded to---this after hundreds of thousands of miles plowing,hauling,trailering.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you have documentation and links for the non-believers.

And this isn't new, it's been happening since '88.

13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Today I was on I75 i see those new chevy hd 2500 on bad road that have huge pothole.

What I learn. That front tires not like this / \ Like Ford with TBB do this but this chevy stay | | so that why it cause stress on frame?

You know bounce on suspension would like this / \ but this one stay | | so that why plow on truck and cause try keep tire stay | | instead / \ is that correct?

I am not argue anyone about this post. I am just ask question.

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

B&B or anyone...
    question.

Talking the frame situation over with a friend of mine who does steel work/frame work.

He is suggesting i take it one step further now and let him "rebox" the frame.
    Basically told me the steel they use is too thin/basically junk and if i really didnt want to have to think about it just weld in some thicker steel and let him do his thing.

not sure about this..... he is pretty knowledgable (i have seen him cut frames in half and put them back together) but he doesnt exactly have a hi tech shop.

and....do you think it's worth it? He said it wont be easy but he can do it pretty much as a favor and cheap. small money and i buy the steel.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only problem with that is in order to box the entire inboard side of the frame you need to disassemble most of the truck to do it, as well as do alot of relocating of the frame mounted components such as most of the fuel and brake lines, ABS module, and wiring harness's. While a fully boed frame is very strong both torsionally and laterally and would definitely be of benefit for a plow truck application it's just not cost or labor effective, it's something that you'd do during a restoration or rebuild or something along those lines while the truck was already disassembled.

Bottom line, install the C-arm bracket gussets and move on. :cool:

16. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The part of the frame that cracks is already boxed so boxing the rear will not help. The frame is to thin and the shape of it leads to these cracks. Run a brace from the plow frame to under the cab somewhere, trans or t bar crossmember and the problem will not happen.

17. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

my 94 hd 2500 with 220k off road e-z dump plow trailer pulling miles has had two frame problems .
    1 the driver side frame horn rotted fixed at a shop in one hour .

2 the cross member that holds the gas tank strap on rotted. that was a pain. i had to remove the tank ( my first time doing that ) 2 hours towed to a shop next day towed back 3 hours done .

so whats so bad ? I dont see it should i not have problem's with this kind of a work truck ?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which is why adding the control arm bracket to frame gussets is the simple solution.

19. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

is there any recalls out on these issues:confused:

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No and there isn't likely to be one since it's only an issue on a small percentage of trucks as far as GM see's it.