1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy/GM guys need help mounting joystick

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bizzo15, Mar 7, 2011.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

So I just got my unimount working and I need help with mounting the joystick controller. At first I wanted to mount it on the left side of the steering wheel since I'm left handed and it would allow me to run the controls and shift with my right hand. By the looks of it though there's not really a good place on the left side to mount it so if I have to mount it on the right that's fine as well. My other issue is I don't think I got all the proper brackets to mount the joystick to the truck. The only thing it came with was a metal bracket that screws into the back of the controller and then bends at a 90 degree angle and has a couple holes in it. It almost looks like the piece for the floor mount that was cut in half. Anyways how and where did you chevy/gm guys mount your joystick controller? Also where can I get replacement brackets to mount this thing if I can't come up with something good.

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I used to own a chevy adn I had a unimount on it. As far as the contoller went I used a 1X4 and stuck it between the seats and then attached a 2X4 maybe 8" long going parallel with the truck's seat. I attached the controller with adhesive velcro tape. This way the controller is right by the arm rest or center console. I use my left hand to shift quite a bit, I picked it up pretty quickly. I like it in this location because you don't have to reach for it to move the plow. I kept it in the same spot on my super duty.

I also wanted to mount it in the left handside. However I bought the plow from my uncle and he has a lot more plowing experience and he was working for a company when the unimount first came out and that was where they mounted them. He said they had problems with water getting in them and shorting them out. I don't know this first hand but wanted to offer what I know. GOod luck.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The mount should come with two pieces, the first is an L shaped black channel that screws to the bottom of the joystick. The second is a smaller piece with a series of optional positon holes that allow you to select the angle. I generally mount them right to the floor on the bell housing hump to the right of the gas pedal but many operators like to screw them right to the dash on the right or left of the steering wheel. Since many people don't use the bottom piece of the bracket your local Western dealer will probably have some left over parts they can give you if you need that part. I know at our shop we have a box of unused left over parts just for this situation. Too bad you are so far away, unless... you want to take a drive to Calgary Alberta up here in Canada...

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My blizzard came with a window mount kit, that slides into the window crevise on the left, little slack in the wires and it works perfectly, I love it. I forget it's there so much it spends half the summer there before I take it out by simply unplugging it. Also very natural to use with your arm on the armrest.

5. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

thanks for the suggestions...I was thinking about using double sided tape and just sticking it to the dash but I don't think that would hold up. I'd rather not drill into the floor for the floor mount.

6. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I'm left handed too and started plowing with a handheld controller in the left hand. However shifting with the right hand left no hand to steer with. Had to get used to shifting and running the plow with the right hand.

7. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Here's how I mounted mine. Flattened out one of the brackets, drilled 2 holes inside the center console to fit 2 well nuts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

why do you need to steer as your shifting gears?

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Window mount.

joystik 001.jpg

10. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

If there's a RadioShack near you check out their Superlock product. It's the same stuff Western sells for mounting the joystick.

11. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

I'll have to look into that, thanks

12. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

I have my Unimount controller on the left side just below the headlight switch. I am a fan of having my right hand free to shift and steer and left hand dedicated to running the controller. I bent the 90 degree bracket to match the angle of the dash. Works great there. Makes it nice for hook up too. I can stand next to the truck and check functions before getting back into the truck. Only complaint if I jump into the truck too quick it reminds me that it is there when my knee hits it. (disadvantage to long legs I guess)