1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Front End Problems.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JD Dave, Dec 2, 2009.

1. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dave - I thought your trucks are GMCs, in white.....
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes Thank god that's not my truck. The guy in the video apparently just did a bunch of work to his front end, I wonder what he forgot to do. LOL
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

put in the good sh!t :realmad:
  6. builtupbowtie

builtupbowtie Junior Member
    from Oh

you can tell he actually raised the torsion bars instead of lowering them for pulling. The tires are towed way in before he even hooked to the sled.
  7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Wow That serious angle.

Wondered how Ford F150 with IFS would do.
  8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Man, that sucks, I don't understand the physics of it though... there was so much pressure on the tie rods that they pulled back???
  9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The wheels are trying to go forward from torque on the axle (truck is in 4x4). Since they are mounted outward from the ball joints, they will tend to want to pigeon toe, unless something stops them. What is supposed to stop them is the tie rods-but apparently he forgot to bolt them on tight enough or something. The back tires spun a bit, and the front broke instead of spinning.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would almost guess the center link folded in half....
  11. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

The tie rods are twigs, maybe 3/8" steel so if he's hundreds of HP over stock, that'll mess up the front as torque steer comes into the picture...
  12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That confused me too. I thought it suppose to look like this \ / instead / \

Well go to college tomorrow in tech lab to test that to see it.
  13. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

gm s better idea independent front sus.aka rubbermaid.YUK

fix that ifs rubbermaid frontend put a solid dana axle dana 44/60 under that.there is a aftermarket mfg.bolt in conversion kit that came out this year.to put a solid dana 44/60 under them IFS gm trucks. nice video seen several of them ifs gm trucks folds the front tires in snap n bend 1 or both tierods into ubolt lookin whatchamacalit..was the tierod designed for 1 of the recalled rustotas..with the carpet stuck on gas pedal..::dizzy:
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well said, professor....:dizzy:
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

...AND A HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YOU TOO BIG GUY! :laughing::drinkup::D
  16. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey now- let's get some vids of fords throwing heads, and dodges frying a few auto trannies- I want my "Merry Christmas" videos too!
  17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen that happen to multiple Chevys / GMC's. Common issue when adding lots of power. Always enjoy seeing another one!