1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Frames

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jason and jason, Oct 27, 2010.

1. jason and jason

jason and jason Junior Member

This is just a warning for chevy guys who plow commercially and really use your truck. I would recommend putting gussets on your on your frame just for extra protection. I have a 2004 Chevy 1 ton with a Boss 9-2 V and out of 65000 miles, 45000 are plowing and my frame broke on both sides right behind the control arms and almost snapped in half. I found these guys locally who build race cars and they fixed it like it was a piece of art. This guy on this site helped me tons and I want to thank him, it is B&B. He also makes gussets which are cheap protection for your frame. Next truck will be a Ford there meant to work, my 95 f-350 still kicks ass. I tried to post pictures but they will not post.

2. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

It's all good. I'm willing to guess 99% of us already know. Glad you found out but sorry it was too late.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Here are the pics. The first one is of the truck, the second the break in the frame, the third is a side view of the frame after being fixed. (notice the gusset on the bottom of the frame also). And the forth is a pic of the frame as most of us have seen with the gusset attached. The company that fixed this did a awesome job!

ps1.jpg

ps2.jpg

ps3.jpg

ps4.jpg

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

You couldn't made them any bigger before posting, Ryan???? :D

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm always amazed to see this. I already had them on mine when I bought it, but I constantly check on them as I use a 1005 lbs plow.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's an issue, but pretty cheap to take care of if fixed before it breaks.

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I've got 134,000 on my 2000 NBS. Been plowing with it since I bought it 4 years ago. I check my frame regularly in this spot and it looks darn near new for some reason. There are no gussets installed.

Guess I'm just not working the truck hard enough.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

But do you want to tempt it mayhem?

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Sorry Mike, I didn't think about it until it was to late.

11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Something I should look into on the Colorado?

12. bluefishbob

bluefishbob Junior Member
    from erie pa

From what ive read, the plow package trucks have a gusset there already. Am i wrong? I have seen several chevy trucks do this but ive also seen alot more not. I have 2 chevs and 2 fords and dont see this on my trucks.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most '01-'02 had the gussets whether they were plow prep or not, the majority of 03-up do not whether they were plow prep equipped or not. Mostly a hit or miss (after '02) deal more than anything...that's why you have to look and if they're not there install them.

14. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

Where can I find these gusset and how much are they?

15. cti531

cti531 Member

Since I am not a welder or fabricator, can I order these pre-made somewhere and take them to get welded on or would it be best to just talk to some shops and see if they can fabricate the gusset and weld it on right away?

16. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

subscribing

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're nothing tough to fab up but if you want a pre-made ready to install set shoot me a PM and I'll show you where to source them.

18. srlovett

srlovett Junior Member
    from OHIO

do you have a printable template that can be used to make them?
    2000 k2500

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not for the GMT400 trucks no sorry I don't.

20. srlovett

srlovett Junior Member
    from OHIO

alright thanks