1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy/Ford - Firestone SteelTex AT tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Sep 26, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I know that most of 3/4 and one ton Chevy and Ford trucks have Firestone SteelTex AT tires. What can I say about them? I think they sucks in snow! Last winter, alot of times my Chevy 2500HD will easily spin the tires and just can't get moving very well because it kept on spinnin' and spinnin'. My father who also have very similar truck as mine, except that his is an '03 and mine is '02. His truck do have the same tires that I have, and he said that it do spin in snow too.

Anyone else that run Firestone SteelTex AT tires that have the same problem? How did you manage through it? Do you just stick with it for a few years until it wear out, or did you quickly swap out with better tires?

Right now I am planning on keeping it for a few years until it is worn out and time for a new set. The next set of tires I would buy is BFG Commercial T/A. ;)

2. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I wore'em off my chevy in less than 30k. Then I threw on a set of BFG AT TA/KOs and went 65k, properly aired and rotated, of course. NOt to mention the snow traction was/ is incredible.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I had the same problem with the origenal tires on my chevy when i got it .They had realy no traction in the snow I now have the BF Goodrich commercial TA'S traction tire and I think they are great in the snow.But I did let the other tire wear down enough before I got them and suffered with bad traction.

4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

They came on my 97 when I bought it. I hated them and ended up useing them for the tires on my demolition derby truck. Thats about the only thing that I have found that they work good for. A buddy of mine runs them on his goose neck and he said that they work great for that also. I now run 295/75/16 BFG A/T's on both of the plow trucks and 255/85/16 BFG M/T's on the dually.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I got them ! What a PIA tire. If you have the LT
    ones you are supposed to keep them pumped up
    to 60 ft.....80 rear. Man they grip for NADA !

I was having problems with the truck pulling to the
    left. Check pressure 36 lbs ! Pumped them up to
    spec. on door jamb and pulling gone.

When it rains and ya pull of the corner the rear
    won't grip. I just let a little pressure outta them.

They are quiet tho and are wearing great at 24 k.
    Cheap to replace too. My 97 had those Goodyear
    RWL.....Man 200 bucks each!
    The truck will be gone before they are worn out so
    what the heck !.......................geo

6. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin. Which is a French company. With what the french did and didn't do to help during the war, I'll stick with American tires. (but thats just me)

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Dfor, you make an excellent point, not argueing your thinking not one bit, but BFGoodrich and Michelin are really really good tires. Just as an example, on a luxury car, you cannot beat Michelins for the ride they give. They are expensive tires, but worth it for the ride they give and how long they last, but you did make a good point. Mike :waving:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  8. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Team_yamaha-
    Those 295 75r16's you talked about, did you put those on your newer model ford's? If so did they fit ok withouth rubbing and no lift? I run 285 75r16's on my 01 ford and I'm due for new tires just wondering if they fit?

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Bought my truck oct. 01" Plowed the 7ft storm w/ the steeltex's on them. They were decent for getting through the snow but once your find soft ground they are horrible. NO bite at all...
    EXTREMELY poor wear. Being the poor man that I am. I tried to get as much use out of them as I could. The first storm of 02" I got a flat & realized it was time for them to go with under 15k miles on them.
    Replaced them with BFG TA's, under $100 on sale at BJ's. Made it through all least season & expect to make it through this winter easily. All depending on what mother nature dishes out of cource. lol

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My 350 came with this tire and I ran it. It's not the best tire I've run, but it did a better job than I expected in the snow. The only time I had problems was in wet snow that packed, I couldn't get much traction in those conditions.

I've got 27,000 miles on them, most of the time towing an 8000 pound trailer and the wear bars don't show yet. I'll need something else for plowing this season, but these have a few highway miles left on them.

11. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

jkkablers--- the 295's wouldn't fit on my truck with the plow on, and barely fit without the plow, but that is when it was stock. I now have a 3" leveling kit in the front with airbags front and rear. Now the 295's clear not a problem and looks really mean with the plow on.

12. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Ya those tires suck. Problem with mine is that the truck above it sucked too.
    After I 86'd the truck (dealer bought it back-lemon law stuff), I arranged a deal with a tire wholesaler in my area. When I picked up my new truck, I drove it straight to his place. Tires had under 30 miles and he bought them from me and I paid the diff to put on Goodyear ATS's. Best dang tire I ever did have. Pricey w/o a deal tho. The D load rating is fine for my 2500HD w/ 8 ft front and back

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Just eyeballing my Deathstones.

They are load range "E"...............

They are only 2 ply sidewall and 2 ply tread !

I figured because they are LT they would be 4
    plys or better.

Cheap Tires....................................geo