1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Electronic Defroster. No Blow.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chazmanian, Oct 28, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

So I picked up my new to me 1992 Chevy plowing truck last night....I swear I thought I had checked what to me is a critical critical componet...The derned defrsoter dosent blow out of the vents on top of the dash...Dang-It!

I was so happy that it drove so good and everything worked down to the retractable service light under the hood that I overlooked really making sure that the defroster was functional.

So now I have a Plowing truck with a defroster that wont blow air onto the windshield....:angry: .

How common is this problem and is it safe to assume that I have a bad actuator or vacuum controlled door that aint activating? Is there a way to get ion there by removing the glove box and maybe rigging the door into place so it just stays on defrost alll the time?

Or should I take it in to a pro and prepare to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars getting it function properly?:confused:

I'll charge up my digi-cam and post some photos later today....The weather is so nice in colorado its gotta be 70 in the shade so I'm heading out for a trail ride on my KTM!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

chaz, is this an a/c or non a/c equipped truck?

3. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

its got Ac...It even blows Ice cold air. I cant believe I missed checking the defroster....How ******** can I be.:help:

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, the a/c equipped trucks are all electric controlled. They use electric motors to move the blend doors, they don't use any cables. Is it stuck in a certain position? In other words, will it only blow air out of the a/c vents? Or only the floor vent? Or will it switch between floor and dash vents and just not switch to defrost?

5. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

It functions perfectly between floor and vent but dosent go to the deforst mode.

Any suggestions would be awesome as the thought of taking it in to a shop isnt feeling so good.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, Look under the dash just to the right of the gas peddle, you should see an electric actuator there on the end of the heater box near the radio receiver box that's also near the gas peddle. You should be able to see it and the small actuator linkage that operates the defrost door. Operate the defrost control and watch the linkage..does it move fully?