1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Dually and an 8.2 Boss V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB Landscaping, Apr 1, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Anyone have this setup?? I just bought a new chevy 1 ton dump with dual wheels and was wondering if the Boss 8.2 V is wide enough to cover my tracks. I would like to stay away from the 9ft and above plows because I have some smaller residentials. I am looking at either a Fisher 8.1/2 ft V or the Boss 8 2" V.

2. nben

nben Senior Member

My 8.5' fisher V is too narrow at times for my 2500, so I doubt you would be happy with an 8.2'. Ever think about a Blizzard? Seems as though it may be an appropriate application. :D

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I did think about a Blizzard and would love one but my closest dealer is close to an hour away. I have a Boss dealer and a Fisher dealer about a mile from my house.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How about taking off the outside duals while plowing?

5. nben

nben Senior Member

Mick,
    I don't know how it is up where you are, but in Southern Maine our friends in the little blue pick-ups would definitely frown on that. Even if he were to run the truck empty and not be over weight for the singles, they can get you for altering the vehicle after inspection and probably a few other offenses. The 800 units (State Police Commercial Vehicle Division) have been showing their presence in force around here for the past few years. :D

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

nben, you are right, they have been out in swarms lately. I've got a buddy the drives a tow truck all over the state and he's see's them everywhere. I have a cousin that has a similar truck and runs an 8 1/2 Fisher V and loves it. The Boss 9.2V sounds good though I might go that route.

7. Mick

from Maine

Don't see anything like that around here, especially when it's been snowing. Seriously, I've never seen any "State Police Commercial Vehicle Division". I was talking about running empty or at most with something for ballast. Never seen any scales (portable) either. I know when I wanted to find out what my truck weighed, the only scale anybody could think of was the Tri-County dump scale.

8. nben

nben Senior Member

Mick,
    I've seen them in your area, but only on the highway. I have a friend that lives in Lincoln and travel through your neck of the woods (briefly) to hunt and ice fish a few times a year. They are pretty prominent around here though, blue Dodge and Ford extended cabs, light bars, hard tonneau covers, and a bed full of equipment. One lives in the next town over from me, but others are around as well. They can be a pain, but I've seen enough scary things driving down the road to appreciate what they do.:D

9. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, nben. I'll have to keep a watch. The only thing I can think of seeing like that around here are the Game Wardens.

That just shows how much I worry about being illegal. I try to keep my stuff in good shape so it'll work for me when I want it. But I didn't know taking the outside duals off would be illegal. I would think at most, they'd give you a warning. Especially, right after a snow.

10. nben

nben Senior Member

They probably would just give a warning. Seems as though they can go either way with the smaller trucks. Sometimes they don't even look in our direction, other times you would think the back of the truck was on fire the way that they look you over as you pass. I don't think that any of our trucks have ever been "pulled over", but we have been stopped at several roadside truck checks. They look just like an OUI roadblock, but they only stop commercial vehicles. Sometimes they weigh you, other times they just check your fuel and give the truck a quick "once over". There always seems to be a truck or trailer or two off to the side waiting for the hook. Maybe GeoffD could share some of his experiences with them, I know Scarborough Public Works had a run in about three years ago with a truck hauling salt.