1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Diesel question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DAZ982500, Jan 17, 2009.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I purchased 1986 Chevy K20 with a 6.2 diesel and 8' diamond hydo controlled plow.I bought the truck as a back up for $2300 I have already rebuit the transmission $1300 and want to dump it, as far as I concerned it is not as strong as I expected, power wise.Anyway I have a total of about $3500 into it.Can I expect to get this amount out of it with age .The odo is reading 80k the previous owner had it for 2 yrs he states he did not due alot to it.There are newer treads,warn hubs, new tranny.The truck has flat bed with pressure treated wood.At this time I cannot start due to temp, I cannot plu block heater in due to location.It has been -10 here.Question 1)is price relastic, and if not how much and 2)can I jump start to get her going in this weather.
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'd pay maybe $2k for it, and maybe at the end of the season you might get a bit more....

FISHERMANXLS Junior Member

yeah i would say that the money u will have to cut some as a loss. but for starting it u can jump it and use a little shot of starting fluid but dont use to much u can really mess stuff up internally seeing that it will be a dry start
  4. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

Just remember to have your accountant deal with your depreciation numbers since you are selling/disposing of it before you've completed your depreciation cycle...
  5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Is this an ex military truck?
  6. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

This is not a military truck
  7. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

Use WD 40 as starting fluid in that diesel.
  8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

If its got working glow plugs use of starting fluid is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)tymusicussmileyflag

MAR4CARS Senior Member

First thing you should have done was take out that 6.2 boat anchor and converted it to a gasoline engine.
  10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Besides being a little under powered the 6.2 is a good running motor.
  11. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

2,000 would be about what you could expect for the truck. The new transmission really doesn't add a whole lot to the value of that old of a truck, unless its really clean! But ya the old sh@t 2 gm diesel would make a better boat anchor than a plow truck motor.