1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Diesel ( Not Duramax ) ????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ProWorkz.com, Jan 20, 2005.

1. I am trying to get some feedback on 95 through 98 Chevy Diesels in pickup trucks with manual or auto transmissions. Pro's and con's? thanks for the input......

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I believe there were 2 different versions of the 6.5 diesel. The 190hp turbo diesel and the 160hp naturally aspirated. The most common problems with these diesels are the PMD failures. You might take a look at www.dieseldoctor.com and see what you can find. These diesels don't have a whole lot of power but great fuel economy. Sorta like the 6.2 diesel.
  3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

The ol 6.5 litre.
    I havn't owned one, driven yes but not owned. My neighbour has a 96 1 ton 4x4 with the 6.5. Bought it out in BC and drove it back. He really likes it and has no complaints other than the common problems with them.

The injection pump goes and also there is a modual in a real dumb place which heats up and dies over time. Can't remember the name of it. There is a mod available to relocate this modual to a cooler place which would be something to consider.
  4. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

my old boss had one, plenty of power for towing, tranny went at 75,000($2000) to replace, not a fun to drive truck its all business, it was the 6.5 turbo in a 1ton dump. traded it in for a duramax

duramax :waving: , 6.5T :nono: