1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy diesel 6.2L

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Milwaukee, May 19, 2009.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well found nice 1983-1988 HD K20 K30 4wd ex army with 6.2L for good deal so I would ask you if it good

question what hp and torque for 6.2L diesel

Can I run any oil in gas like vega oil automatic transmission oil something that is fuel or it strict?

How they do with automatic transmission?

What mpg they been average?

Do they have hard time start in winter?

2. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

there good in the snow i have a couple of them they push snow well and have lot's of power i would buy one :)

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just keep in mind when the Military get's rid of something it has multiple problems if not worn out!

4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

If it's a non turbo 6.2, they usually run around 170 HP, which is not so much; but they have great gobs of torque which is great for slow speed pushing.

Head gaskets are somewhat vulnerable. Watch for white smoke when you test drive it...do a nice long test drive t get the engine really warmed up. They are a biitch to start when very cold if the glow plugs don't work. Many people start them with starting fluid to save a few hundred bucks on a glow plug repair...which doesn't help the head gaskets.

Run a good quality diesel specific oil...I like Chevron Delo 400...it stays quite fluid even at low temps and makes cold cranking easier.

If you have a garage, that's even better...start it when you leave, and shut it off when you come back inside...

The military spec 4x4 drive system on those old trucks is bulletproof...no pun intended!

5. Milwaukee

gear ratio on army is 4.62

Ok I can see why they sell for cheap

Look like I need think before pick first diesel truck.

No turbo I look at pic.

That why I like this chevy because solid axle NO IFS

Ok 6.2L like to be warm instead cold what about engine block heater?

How hard to replace head gasket? Like gas engine?

6. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Test drive it first, if it has low miles, it may be worth the price they are asking...I have IFS on my '92 GMC Sierra 1500 and run a 7.5 meyer setup...it works great...but the solid axle is easier to lift if you want extra ground clearance...

Head gaskets are harder than a gas engine (a bit). Be sure to get the heads pressure tested and resurfaced before reinstalling, otherwise you'll be putting a weekend's work down the drain...

A block heater helps if it has one, if not pretty easy install, also think about getting a couple of battery warmers (it should have two batteries), and make sure it has been converted to a standard 12V system rather than 24V which the military likes. 24V alternators & starters a quite expensive. I am not sure if all MIL-SPEC K20's were 24V or not, but I've seen quite a few that were...

Good Luck.

7. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

WOW,
    you are very confused about the military, they often get rid of brand new and hardly used stuff, so they have an excuse to get more money from congress. I have been to a surplus warehouse when I worked for the GOV'T its mind blowing what they have to give away.

8. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I would love to have a 24 volt truck, I think the conversion is long over due. Think of all the charging problems it would solve if everything instantly needed 1/2 the amps? we could really speed up a plow with 24V motor

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hummm the vehicle is 21 years old? It's a B/S GM diesel. It's a Military Vehicle that has God knows how many drivers. I have a friend that went thru 2 years of High School auto mechanics vocational training with me. He went into the ARMY after high school as a mechanic. He needs a few wrenches and a flat parking place to replace a Hummer's starter. He told me to never buy a used Military Vehicle. They have multiple problems or deferred repairs when they decide to red line it.

10. Milwaukee

Mick is right

most time they sell say not running or didn't try start

Some are running but cost more for bid.

vary 30,000-150,000 miles

I have see some that look like it been sit for long time but sell for really cheap

I find those at http://www.govliquidation.com/

11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

All 6.2`s are non turbo I think they are @ 140 HP.They will run on ATF ,can run veggie they are not big on power but they will plow.They are known to have glow plug trouble and can be tough to start in the cold.Check the block where the starter bolts on I have seen a couple that the starter bolt bosses broke off.

12. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member