1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy clunking noise

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ABES, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

something wierd is going on with my 99 K2500 sometimes when i make a really sharp turn or when i am pulling into my driveway i can hear a clunk coming from the front left of the truck. i crawled under there and i noticed there is a slight ammount of grease leaking out from the boot on the CV shaft. this just started doing this. i am thinking it has something to do with the abuse the truck has been taking this hunting season as the hunting trails have ruts like you wouldnt believe and it shakes the truck all over the place. if anybody knows what the problem might be i would really like to know.

thanks for the help guys

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are there hubs on this one?

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

if you mean manual locking hubs then no. its a 1999 chevy K2500 4wd 350 V8

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it do it the whole way through the turn? Like a "clunk" "clunk" "clunk"? Or does it only do it one time when you turn the wheel sharply?

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

it only does it if i turn sharply or turn and hit a bump at the same time. i noticed it for the first time today turning really tight in a parking lot. and then when i got home pulling into the driveway. but ya it clunks 2 or 3 times. but it doesnt always do it. id imagine it would get worse over time.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Check your swaybar end links. Just had to change mine, one was broken. Took me forever to figure out where the noise was coming from, most of the bolt was still there so it didn't look obviously broken, but it could slap up and down when I hit a bump.
    Might be unrelated to the boot issue. Course if it were the swaybar end link I think it would do it even if you aren't turning.

Hey, I just noticed I hit 1,000 posts! Yay me!

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i checked them and they were fine i know those are a common problem on ifs gms i just changed them on my boss's truck the other week. i am preety sure its the CV shaft there is greese leaking all around the boot. congrats on your 1000th post detroitdan

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea it could be a CV shaft but I think I'd dig around a little more before just replacing it.... check over the steering too. Check the tie rods, pitman arm, and especially the idler arm. They will give you the same kind of clunk in a turn too. Also, check the calipers and brake pads to make sure they're tight on the spindle.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thanks for the help B&B ya im gonna look into it more before i start replacing stuff that isnt broke.

11. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Check your torsion bar mounts also. I have a similar noise coming from my typhoon, on sharp turns, off camber turns and bumps, and the torsion bar mounts are the issue. IDK if the full size trucks could possibly have the same setup. Just a thought

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That definitely can be a problem on the mid-sized trucks but doesn't apply on the full size's, as they do in fact use a different TB arrangement.. The mid size's use a rubber mount/isolator setup on the TB cross-member...the full-size's don't. But a good tip for the mid size truck owners non the less jbone..