1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Car Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Nov 11, 2007.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 2000 Malibu and a Co-worker has a 2002 --> 70k on it both with the 3.1 - V6.
    Do they have ignition modules or does the computer do it?
    AutoZone got a code for multiple misfires. He says the cars seems to hit the wall at like 2K rpm. I had him change the wires,spark plugs and he decided to replace the coil packs. Cleared the codes, 2 days later no codes but now runs the same as before.
    I changed out the fuel filter for him, & new pcv before he installed the other stuff.
    I am going to put my fuel pressure gage on it tomorrow and see what I find.
    Any thoughts on what it could be? Common problems? All else fails we start testing injection and emission components.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Micki they do in fact have an ignition module, but they're totally controlled by the PCM....and they rarely fail. A much more common thing on them is a weak fuel pump just like you touched on..

They need a minimum of 45psi at the rail but they will run with as low as 35psi but they wont run good and will run out of fuel at a low RPM, which will cause it to do exactly what your describing. I'd definitely get a pressure gage on it and take it for a ride to see what kind of pressure it has under load.

3. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

I've seen this before on many other vehicles and 9 out of 10 times it has turned out to be a failing coil. Or individual coil pack.

4. MickiRig1

All the coil packs were replaced along with the wires and plugs.

5. MickiRig1

I had him run a can of SeaFoam through it too. Before the problem with the car he had done nothing to it but drive it and change the oil. If it is fuel pressure, I am going the change the pressure regulator first.I did find the vacuum line was damaged to the fuel pressure regulator a month a go. We repaired it. I have heard the pumps are like $400+ for a new one. I have not checked yet. His Wife wants him to trade it in and get a new car. It's paid for, he does not want a payment again for a while. We say fix it and run her into the ground for another 100k miles!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A genuine GM fuel module assembly is around $400..but you can get an aftermarket one for about half that or so..
    I've had good luck with the ones from NAPA..never had one fail...

If you do find a pressure problem, you can plug the return line temporarily to see if it's a pump or regulator problem but 99% of the time it's the fuel pump on these cars...I've rarely had a regulator go bad....but maybe you'll get lucky Micki, I'll cross my fingers for ya!

7. MickiRig1

Thanks B&B we are going to tackle it this weekend. I would bet not having the fuel pressure regulator working for God Knows how long killed the pump. I noticed it as soon as I opened the hood.( Vacuum Line ) It does work, the RPM increases when you pull off the line.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd agree with ya on that one Micki..:)

9. MickiRig1

Update:
    It had good fuel pressure never dropped even hammered going up the road. The vacuum gage told the story. It was a clogged Cat. Runs like a top now !