1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy C5500 truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ronhon, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ronhon

ronhon Junior Member

Hi. I am a landscaper in Toronto, Ontario and new in the snow plow industry. Yesterday, I met a sales rep for leasing a 3/4 ton pick up truck. After few minutes conversation, he suggested to lease a C5500 dump truck. He made some points

1. It is durable, can run eight years without trouble. Most 3/4 or 1 ton pick ups can only last for 5 years

2. For landscaping and salting, maximum load for a 1 ton is 2 yards of soil or salt. Since C5500 gvac rate is 19000 lbs. I can load more materials than a 1 ton

3. A 1 ton pick up can install up to 9' plow. But I can put a 10' for a C5500.

4. Most landscapers who used to own a pick ups are likely switching to a bigger size.

My current clients are
    Commericals - most with appro. 20,000 sqft areas
    Townhouses communities - from 50 to 400 townhouses.
    They both need snow plowing and salting.

The lease price are
    3/4 ton pick up 4x4, auto, diesel, ext cab - $764 CAD for 48 mths
    C5500 2wd, auto, diesel, reg cab - $899 CAD for 60 mths
    C5500 4x4, auto, gas, reg cab - $899 CAD for 60 mths
    All are Chevy or GMC

Is it wise to plow and do landscaping with a mid size truck? Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
  2. snyps

snyps Senior Member

My only advice is with something that big, get a diesel, the gas mileage will kill you in the long run on a gas engine.

But with 2wd, and something that big, can you plow with it, or are you just spinning your wheels. (not sure never plowed with something that big before).