1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy C4500 Dump for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by efriedman, Aug 24, 2004.

1. efriedman

efriedman Junior Member

Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone has used or is using the newer C4500 for plowing. Its only 2wd and was wondering how it handled in the snow, how it pushed, etcc.. or would it be best to go with a 4wd 1 ton. Im in northwest PA and encounter some ugly winters.

Thanks!

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would go with a 3500 4x4 imo

3. sam973

sam973 Member

they are making 4500/5500 in 4x4 this year. I would look at them.

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have a 2wd dump with a plow. It never gets stuck. Unless it is out alone. I use it for big lots but always keep a 4wd near. If this is your only plow vehicle, go for a 4wd. No amount of money saved is worth being stuck.

5. sam973

sam973 Member

check out pickuptruck.com for some pics of the 4x4 4500/5500 trucks. Looks like a mean rig. I almost got one, but I went with a Ford F550 instead.

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

So did I, I got the F550 too. I'm so sorry.

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

One of the larger companies near me got a 4500 4X4 this year, the thing is mean. Sits up really high, looks very nice. What will you be plowing, driveways, lots, roads??

8. KHB

KHB Member

I have a C5500 4x4. Works awesome WHEN we have snow :drinkup: No problems even plowing the residentials I have :cool:

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You can plow with it just fine. Just load that ***** down. 2 tons of sand/salt or 2 tons of number 2 stone and you will be fine.

10. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

or a nice sander fully loaded :redbounce

11. KHB

KHB Member

Very true. the extra weight helps :drinkup:

12. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

2 tons is just a start. I have a 5500 that goes out with 5 in the back to start the night...you cant stop these trucks.....only been stuck once...and I plow huge lots all the way down to small twisty driveways.