1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy C-3500 HD, Hazard Relay

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by White Gardens, Sep 4, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My hazards come on but don't flash.

Before I replace the multi-function switch, I'm going to swap out the relay first.

Where is it located? I have an 01HD truck but it's the older body style up to 2000.

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Your flasher is bad.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

run the hazard switch up/down a bunch of times. thay get a lot of dust in there from there location on top.

and yes relay is cheep to check. but the multi function switch in these is a big problem that gets replaced a lot.

if you need to swap thay have tourqe bit/driver screws . but easy to swap.
  4. White Gardens

Tried the up and down multiple times with no avail. I ended up ordering a multi-function switch off of e-bay yesterday. Pretty much the same price for new as I would have getting a salvaged one.

The truck is due for inspection, so I'm swapping out the multi-function switch next.

Did swap out the relay with no luck. Basically what is happening is that I turn the flashers on, it now has no lights, but as soon as I press the break pedal both turn signal lights come on.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

yep new should fix it. as everything light wise flows threw it before it gets to the bulbs.

and local parts stores have them on the shelfs cause thay are so comon.

and i like used parts but thats a good call on new to start with.
  6. White Gardens

Funny thing is a year ago I had some issue (can't remember what it was now) and tried swapping out the switch.

It wasn't the problem and I took it back for the cash, now I get to do it all over again.

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I dont know about the full size trucks but i remember the S-10 trucks and blazers having a recall to replace the push switch for this problem. I remember you had to pull the outer column shield, pull a screw and yank the push button switch out the top. The new just slid back in and put back together. Someone may know different though, its been a long time since i did it.
  8. White Gardens

I was wondering if that was the case as I've seen on-line a repair for broken hazard switches, but that was for switches that had broken off when someone pulled the dash.

Any rate, the multi-switch is ordered, and at a decent price. Considering the problems with the multi-switch, I'll just call it good by replacing it.

I'm hoping that's the issue. I'd hate to chase down electrical gremlins to get the hazards working.
  9. White Gardens

PITA multi-function switch has been replaced and the hazards are working again..

Thanks for all the replies.Thumbs Up