1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Blazers

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by camperspecial, Aug 16, 2003.

1. camperspecial

camperspecial Junior Member

Hello plow-site members. While I don't' post much here, I read the forums here and respect the opinions given by many. (I would post more, but I am not the expert that many who do are) This is one of the most "civil" forums I have found on the Internet. Not too much bashing, and honesty. After all, any brand that is broken is a piece of junk to the owner at that time.

Yesterday while going to lunch, an elderly man pull across my path and I T-boned him, total loss on my 1997 GMC. Fortunately everyone is OK.

Now for my question.

What are you opinions of the 1984-1987 Chevy Blazers? I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be replacing my GMC with a older blazer. (have always loved the look) There are many "decent" deals in the local ad trader for the 84-87 models. ($2500 to $4000 US) Are these decent models? I would be adding at least a 4 inch lift and up to 33 inch tires. Is there another year that might be better?. I will 4x4 somewhat, but it will be a daily driver. I am not against Fords or Dodges, but I have much more experience on the Chevy's.

Any opinions, good or bad will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Natchie Adkins

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

They are all good trucks, If you dont mind putting big tires on it every year then go for the big tires. They will also make some noise crusing down the road. Those big tires are not made for a daily driver because they dont last, unless they are a less agressive tread, post a pic of your new ride once you get it !!

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Almost every tire manufacturer makes tires up to 33". It is when you get larger than that where your choices are more limited.

I got over 20,000 miles out of my BFG Mud T/A's, and they still have some meat on them. Stick with radials, and they will last a lot longer than you think.

84 - 87 is a good range. GM added many plastic shields to the underside to help stop rust. The 700 tans had the bugs worked out by then. Parts are still available and cheap.

Wyldman runs a few in this year range if I am not mistaken. I am sure he can elaborate.

With a 4" lift, you might need some driveline spacers. You might be able to go with a 2" add-a-leaf, and a 2 or 3" body lift, and have less problems to deal with.

~Chuck

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

All of our Blazers\Jimmy's are older pre 80's unit's.They are awesome trucks,and only got better every year.

87 and up are the best,as they are fuel injected.

4" lift and 33's will make a nice looking truck.

Sorry to hear about the total loss of your truck,and good luck in finding a replacement.

5. camperspecial

Thanks for the replies. My brother used the BFG M/T on his 85 Chevy. They actually wore decent. (40,000 miles). This is what I will choose.

I will be using a "system" style lift kit. (Including new rear springs, as I don't like the blocks in the rear as well) I will call some on the manufactures and get there opinions on what Chuck said about the drive-line spacers. I hope I can get a kit that includes everything needed for my application. (I might be dreaming here though)

Again, thanks for everyones input. As I am sad to lose my beloved 97, I am excited about finding and working on a "new to me" blazer or jimmy.

Natchie

6. JOHNTIBZ

JOHNTIBZ Junior Member
    from NH

body lift good, suspension lift bad

Hi,
    from my past experience, I have found that if your not going to be doing extreme off roading, just do a body lift, and gain ground travel with tire size, then your not screwing with pinion angles, and alignement issues. I sold a 88 blazer with a 454, 33 inch bfgs and a body lift and it went awesome. Never stuck, well maybe a couple times, but pretty good in the thick of it all!!!
    John

7. camperspecial

Thanks JOHNTIBZ,
    This is the kind of information I am looking for. Did you have any rubbing with the 33's? How much body lift to clear them? I'm guessing 3 inches. I only want to lift it to clear 33's, so if a body lift would work, I would probably go that route. I have heard that body lifts can be a pain. Probably no more the a suspension lift though. I sure wish I had the chance to buy your 88. Sounds like just what I am looking for.

Thanks again

Natchie

8. JOHNTIBZ

JOHNTIBZ Junior Member
    from NH

lift

Hi,
    I had a 2" lift and the 33's fit with no problem. I think a body lift is easier than a suspension lift, unless you have somebody do the work than has done alot of them, its the way to go. Its alot cheaper to. The nice thing about it is your not changing the gravity of the vehicle as much, and it will still steer and ride the way it should. There are pro's and cons to each one, but if its going to be primarily a road vehicle with a little off roading here and there, I think its the way to go. Good luck.
    John

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My friend had a Jimmy of the vintage you list that he put a suspension lift in, I don't know how high. After the lift, the truck would tear up the rear u-joints every 6 months due to the extreme angle of the driveshaft. To do the lift properly you have to rotate the axle on the spring mounts and lower the transmission or transfer case mount to split the difference of the angle and get something close to the original angle.

10. camperspecial

WOW, just gotta love it when experience speaks. This is why I keep coming back to this site.
    I have been doing research online. It appears that a 2 inch lift will fit 33's (with 8 inch wheels) just fine. Most of the sites list PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES as the supplier for most of the body lifts I can find. I like the idea of keeping the suspension stock. I will add some heavy duty shocks and steering stabilizers.

Thanks to all who have responded. Off to do some more research.

Natchie

11. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

If you are not going to be doing a ton of off-roading, go with the BF Goodrich All-Terrain's. They are a very good tire off-road for most applications plus you get the benefit of low road noise and a longer tread life. I runn 33 12.50's in the summer on my 87 Chevy pickup and 33 9.50's in the winter (that is an AWESOME snowtire). I get great milage out of them and I go anywhere. Last winter we had a huge snowstorm and I had to go clean out where we are building our new home. It is a gravel driveway, 1500 feet long, up hill. I made it up there with no problem even with the differentials dragging all the way. Those BFG tires are great.

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You can fit 33's with no lift and fender triming. I ran 32" swapers and had no issues with no triming. If you throw some 1" 0 rate add a leafs from ORD on there you wont make the suspention any striifer and gain 1" of clearance and will require less triming. There are guys running 40's on 6" suspention lift that is very flexy with enough triming and relocating the axel. 4" suspention isnt going to really stick your driveline at wierd angles and shouldnt take any longer drive shaft and such. Or you could put a crazy lift on it and run a shaft from high angle and never have to worry about breaking it. You can drop your case buy easy/cheaply but then you just droped your ground clearance. BFG's are a good compromise tire. They do ok off road and ride ok and get good life. I also believe ORD makes some nice 2" AL spacers/body lifts. Buy a frame/steering box brace from ORD or fab up your own. Check the under side very carefully for rust. The back by the tail gate and right behind the front seats are prone to rusting. A blazer with a rotten tub is a PITA to fix. I had a K5 that looked great, all the panels were solid, but the underneath was so rotten that I couldnt open or close the tailgate. Check out www.coloradok5.com

If you are thinking of offroading and even have the slightest thought of lifting it I would definatly stay 87 or older since as was mentioned 87 was the last year for the solid front axel. Sounds like you already have decided this though.....

13. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

Actually, didn't they keep the solid front axles on the Blazers, Suburbans, and 1-tons for a few years after 1987? I know the design changed on the 1/2-ton pick-ups in 1988 but I thought the others stayed the same for a while...?

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

They did keep the solid front axle on the Jimmy/Blazers,Subs,and the old body style pickups (called R\V series) until 1991.

15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

:eek: I was thinking of trucks and the last year for a SFA, your right

16. camperspecial

Thanks to all. Advice is a wonderful thing. I found the coloradok5.com web site last night, good site. Unfortunately, I still don't have the other guys insurance information yet.
    So, I got a lawyer today. Funny thing is, the wreck happened right in front of his office. I almost took out his sign and tore up his yard a little. No he doesn't want anything for that, even if I don't use him as my lawyer. Guess that was his way of hooking me! Looks like I won't be able to buy anything until we see what his insurance is going to do. Could take many months. I am now in the depressed state of mind. Fortunately, I have PLOWSITE.COM to cheer me up!!!!!

PS... I did choose these models because of the SFA.

I cannot express enough thanks to all who have responded.

Natchie Adkins

Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  17. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Mine has 33"ers and a 4 inch suspension lift...

It is a 1989 model

blazer.jpg

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Now that's a sharp looking Blazer !

19. camperspecial

Great Blazer.
    Thats what I was looking for. But it appears that you can't lift a blazer,bronco, 4-runner, etc. in Virginia. They are all considered "passenger vehicals" in my wonderful state. Bumper can only be 22 inches of the ground. Might have to move! LOL
    You can lift a pickup though, as it has the gross vehical weight listed on the regestration, and SUV's don't. This is what you get when you live in a communist, opps I mean commonwealth state.
    LOL

Natchie

20. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

3 words

Bumper Lowering Kit ;)