1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Bellhouseing info NEEDED????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by one ton dually, Oct 8, 2005.

1. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

I have a buddy with a 1985 1 ton Chevy.He has a NP435 tranny with a aluminum bell housing,and want's to put a NP465 in but Need's a cast iron bell housing that will let him continue to use the hydraulic clutch setup?Does Chevy have such a bell housing?He has a 1974 454ci in truck.The aluminum bell housing's continue to crack,and just wont hold up! :confused: :confused:

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

check advanced adapters, they make a lot of trans. adapters and converion bellhousings.

3. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Bellhouseing

Well he has decided to stay with the NP435 but we still need to get rid of the aluminum bell housing for a cast iron.question is does chevy make a Cast Iron bellowing that allow's you to use the hydraulic style clutch?We have access to a salvage yard,and under one of those hood's could or could not be that cast Iron Bell Housing.But I wanted to see if chevy even made such a bell housing.That would save me ALOT of walking,and hood popping.I'm disabled from failed spin surgery's,and walking isn't that fun for me. :confused:

4. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

Where are these bellhousings breaking?

I will highly doubt there are any hyd. housings that are not aluminum out there but my guess would be to check busses and heavy trucks. Most had 465's with cast bellhousings but all i have seen are manual linkage.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

85 or so and up used hydraulic clutches but as far as I know they are aluminum. I haven't seen a cast-iron bellhousing on a GM product since the older SM420 pre '68.

How on earth did you end up with an NP435 in a GM product? Aren't they a Ford tranny?

I have never broken a bellhousing, aluminum or otherwise. My engine is a 383 stroker, plenty of torque. You probably have some kind of an alignment issue between the engine and tranny etc. putting stress on it. Check all the mounts, but personally I'd do the SM465 thing. Either use the mechanical linkage, later-model aluminum unit, or an old cast-iron housing with an (expensive) aftermarket hydraulic throw-out bearing.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

From personal experience....swap to a TH-400 and save a LOT of headaches.

I went from a 3-on-the-tree to a SM-465 in my '76 and hated that trans more than I did the 3 speed. Though it was tough and bulletproof, it just isn't a speed or snowplow happy tranny.

With the engine I had in it, had I put an automatic in it, it would have plowed better, and been a 14 sec pickup truck (back then...'80's that was quick!).

7. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Bellhouseing

This is in a dually with 42"s.He has a t400 in it now but said he has a NP435 for it,and had this setup in it before.I told him the same thing as far as the mount's not being right.His T400 is cracked from the top bell bot all the way to T-case tunnle.He want's it standerd again and want's the hydrulic clutch.I will let him post aftr he read's this post becouse im a FORD man,and this is all greek to me.I think it's a mounting problem!Thank's for the help so far though. :drinkup:

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Not a plow truck.

But still...going from Auto to manual??? Thats just silly IMO.

I don't understand all this talk about cracking? Something is wrong somewhere.

Are the trans to block braces intact still?

9. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Broken Bell housing's

This is not in a plow truck.Turn's out the tranny is missing 2 important mount's(LOL).The NP435 in GM world is a SM420.Same tranny.That's what the local tranny shop say's anyway's.Thank's for helping my chevy buddy out,now I can get back to driving my ford's.:drinkup:

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

11. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Bellhousing cracking.

I can't wait to show this to my chevy buddy becouse we argueed it,and he had a buddy at the shop comfirm him.now I can drive my Ford with a big smile.Thank You for clearing this up.