1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Avalanche

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RPlatkin, Aug 21, 2004.

1. RPlatkin

RPlatkin Junior Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a Chevy Avalanche 1500 4wd and would like to get a plow. I would just be using it for my driveway. I've looked at a lot of the plow manufacturers' web sites, but haven't seen many that listed Avalanches. The ones that I did see were Snowbear and a rear-mounted plow, but I was looking for a more traditional front-mounted with a blade that can angle. Anyone using an Alvanache to plow? Any suggestions on what might work?

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard Plows.com

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that truck is a glorified 1500 and comes in a 2500 model as well so you can plow with that

4. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

There is a Avalanche 1500 up here at a used dealership with a 7 1/2' Fisher MM on it, I was suprised to see a plow on one.

5. AJSheehan

AJSheehan Junior Member
    from Maine

It's not a glorified truck in anyway. personall opinion is its too much work to try and use it like a truck and to nice, it's more like a suburban with an open back.

6. PLOWMAN45

for the price the charge i d rather have a excursion

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

RP...There is a 1500 Av in my area with a 8 ft Fisher on it.
    Weighs the nose down bad. I don't think the guy has any
    ballast in the rear.

If your gonna buy new be warned GM is picky about plow related damage on any 1/2 ton GM without VYU plow prep and could/will void warranty claims. A 1500 AV is not sold with plow prep. only the 3/4s.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well I give the advalanche a big thumbs down GM's biggest piece of junk I think in both looks and usage.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't think I would want one personally (I think they are ugly, though they are growing on my in the right colour and wheel/tire combo), now as to whether or not they are a 'piece of junk' or not, only the owner of one can tell us that.

10. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i dont like them i think there ugly. allways figure if you want a truck get a truck. if you want an suv get an suv. ?what do you do in the winter when you want to be able to use whole bed open that window so you can but then freeze your you know whats off:eek: whatever floats your boat i quess.

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Welcome :)

hmmmm.....lotsa people that dont seem to like em but not much help huh? Its your truck and you bought it because it serves you so what ever......

Think of it as a 1/2 ton truck(witch is what it is, actually think of it as a suburban) and set it up like one and you will be good to go. Chevy is can get pissy if they want if you have problems with the front end and such saying that it was/is plow related but remember that they half to prove what ever you did or didnt do caused the problem. Alot of times dealers or the local chevy rep(or ford or dodge or.....) will try to weasle outa warnaty work any way possible but if you get firm and they relize you wont push over they ussualy change thier tune.

IMO if you get a LD fisher or western or blizzard or maybe even snoway(depending on what dealer is close to you and what is the better dealer) and stick with a small 7.5 ld type blade you will be fine. Stick some ballast behind the rear wheels and timbrens probably wouldnt hurt if you will be traveling any distance with the plow attached.

Sorry I dont have any personal expereince but it is just a suburban with a partial bed instead of all enclosed.

Way to welcome the new guy guys :(

12. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have a 1500 Avalanche 4x4 with the Z71 package. I have a 7.5' sno-way mt90 plow with the down pressure system. I also know that blizzard makes one for it. I would only go with one of these two plows because all other ones are to heavy. I put timbrens up front and my truck only sinks about 1inch with the plow up. If your doing driveways the sno-way would be the best. I have pics up here do a search for "1500 Avalanche". It will do a great job. I know because I have one!! :drinkup:

13. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Welcome to the site RPlatkin! Go for the 2500 and a Fisher! Just my .02.

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

The dealer don't have to prove nothing......plain and simple.
    Equipped with plow.......NON plow prep equipped unit....
    Blow the tranny.......Too bad so sad....NO warranty......

Magnisson-Moss act be damned !
    I went thru this with my 97 non VYU equipped Chevy.
    It sure is hard messing with the dealer....Truck broke and in pieces at the stealer.....Stealer sez.......Warranty Denied !!!!

And its snowing cats and dogs and that money maker is broke!

Wanna laugh..take a trip over to http://www.gm-trucks.com
    Some poor Duramax owner over there has his warranty denied,
    his truck in pieces, and they want him to pay $500 each for new
    injectors !...............geo

15. ratlover

from IL

If you are saying someone put a plow on a non plow preped dmax and they are denying a warantee failure, man I would go balistic. It may take some fighting but they will not be able to prove it in court if it goes they want to take it that far.

If you run a non plow preped rig you may have to be a bit more knowledgable and you may be stuck fighting and have some headaches and you may be stuck footing the bill at least temporarily.

The dealer can deny warantee covereage for any reason if they want but when it hits the fan they do have to prove that what you did or didnt do caused the problem.

If my trany went out and it was covered under warantee it would still be snowing.

A 2500 with a plow prep would be better for plowing yes but IIRC the 2500 avalance is only available with the 8.1. Maybe good maybe bad for you? I did miss the part you were looking at buying, I thought you had one already.

For the cost of a plow and all that headach you could be $ ahead just to have somebody do the plowing for you IMO though.

16. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

AV Plow

Just wanted to let you know that a friend has a 1500 with a 8' Boss V- plow and it sags a lot when the plow is on and it is the same as a 1500 truck

17. PLOWMAN45

8ft on a 1500 i would think so

18. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

www.fisherplows.com says you can put a 7'4" Homesteader on an Avalanche 1500. Of course I would think that if you don't have the plow prep package GM will balk at covering drivetrain comoponent failures so I wouldn't risk it on a new truck. On a used truck it would depend on the length of the warranty and the dealer's reputation.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  19. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't say it was mine if you want to set up your truck go see a plow dealer cause who else would know best don't let people who know it all tell you what to do. I like this site a lot but sometimes you have to ask the experts, I know when i set up my truck i asked the people i bought the plow from the installed it myself

20. ratlover

from IL

I agree that you shouldn’t listen 100% to one source but just because someone sells something dosnt make em an expert. They should know their product inside and out but you shouldn’t always trust someone 100% regardless. Always try to gather info from multipul sources like you are doing. JMO