1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Accessory Lighting

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 04chevy2500, Oct 13, 2009.

1. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

HI all i am new to the site. I have a 2004 Chevy 2500 ext cab short box. I am looking to put two lights on my back rack and have heard that there is a wire that runs to the button next to the airbag shutoff. i havent gone searching for it yet and was wondering if this is true and what the best way to tackle this would be. any help would be much appreciated. thanks

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

To beat a dead horse:

Remove the plastic trim on the drivers side rear post that covers the seatbelt. You have to take out the seat. There is a relay behind the belt tensioner that has input from the push button on the dash, and outputs 12V/30A to blunt cut (orange and black IIRC) wires that continue up the post, and into the roof between the headliner and the roof. You won't get the wires down without taking down the headliner. If you want to use for your back rack, cut the orange and black wires, splice in your own wire and route it outside the cab via the rubber vent flaps. Put a Metri-Pack connector on the end, and connect it to the strobe wires with another Metri-Pack.

3. 04chevy2500

thank you for the help. im going to try this this weekend. would it be best to go through the vent or to go through the third brake light and silicone it tight?

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I would recommend the vent.

5. 04chevy2500

ok thank you. is it definately required to remove the seat? or can i access the wired without this step?

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Partially remove the seat. There isn't anything to it really, Very simple.

7. 04chevy2500

ok thank you. im going to try it this weekend. maybe sooner if im lucky. what would be the best type of connector to splice it into two lights? should i do a quick release type so that i can remove the rack easily? this seems to make sense to me. im just not sure of the best place to splice the wires.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

As Q101 already stated, use Metri-Pack connectors. At the very least use some decent 3M butt connectors with shrink wrap. Google "Metri-Pack connector" to find where you can get them. I bought my first kit last season. Well worth the $$!

9. 04chevy2500

ok thank you. i will try that

10. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Use regular splice crimps to tie into the relay, to make a 5 foot, or so, pigtail that goes out the vent. Then, use Metri-Packs to connect the pigtail to the lights. It's a cleaner look to go out the vent, and you don't have to mess with the headliner. The seat comes out in 10 minutes - 6 bolts I think. Be careful taking out the plastic trim - I've heard it breaks easily. I took my truck to the dealer and paid them an hour of labor to take out trim and splice wire in so it would be on them if the trim broke, which it did.

Make sure that you use big enough gauge wire for your pigtail, and match the fuse to what your lights say they should be fused at. It comes from the factory with a 30A in the "SEO 2" slot in the underhood fuse box.