1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy abs recall? problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bgingras, Feb 10, 2006.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Hello,

we ahev a 2000 k3500 The abs has started to randomly kick in during low speed stops, around 5-10mph. It's getting a little bit nerve racking, and posentially dangerous. We are in MA, and I'm finding some random, but not very specific info on the net about a potential recall for 1997-2002 silverado trucks dues to this exact symptom. Has anyone seen, experienced, or had this fixed?

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I have that problem in my 03 2500HD. The culprite is the wheel speed sensors. They get obstructed with grease and grime an give a false reading to the ABS system, triggering it. It only happens at around 5 MPH during stops. The dealer supposedly fixed it, but it's still there. Got to do something about that...

3. I had it

I had it happen on my 1999! I got sick of it on dry roads, so i pulled the abs fuse under the hood as a temorary saftey fix. I then brought it in. THey had to clean the abs sensers off! As stated before, they get dirty and then falsly read. Should you still have the problem, then you may have to replace them. You wont want to do that thoughpayup payup payup .... an NO , my 1999 was NOT recalled or warrentied in any way. i think they charge me $150 or so to pull both front sensers and clean them. Then mine worked for a few days and acted up again, so they pulled both again and found one was cracked a hair, and then replaced it. They have been great since!

4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I found a reference to a recall of 800,000 chevy trucks in the "salt belt" for this problem in my year range...I have receieved nothing from chevy in the mail about a recall, I'm in one of the sates listed though. I also found a phone number to call about it. I'm going to try that...it's a known, documented, safety issue from what I'm starting to find, and it's been attributed to 200 crashes so far.

5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'm probably going to have mine replaced soon, because cleaning them was only a temp fix (3 days max) and they're acting up again!

6. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

if you do the work yourself, the sensors are only about $100-150 a piece.

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

should not have to pay $$ for this, it's a known problem...they are giving me a run around when I call, until I mentioed getting the AG's office involved, then suddenylu they want me to bring it in to see if it's happening on this model also. hmmm...

8. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

The culprit is rust buildup in the front hub assembly.Usually the front hub assembly along with the sensors needs to be replaced,simply cleaning the sensors will only eleviate the problem temporarily.The two wires to the sensor module on the left front inner fenderwell can be disconnected to inactivate the antilocks temporarily until repairs are made,this will simply cause the vehicle to stop in the old conventional manner.There was a GM recall on very few trucks of this era,a simple call to any dealership service department with your vehicle vin number can be put into the computer to check for any recalls on your particular truck.

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I called, got a run around..filed complain with NTSA, now they are saying they will "look" at it and "determine" if it's the same problem, if it is they will clean them for free. That's a waste of time I suspect.

10. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Just like a doctor you can always get another opinion from another dealership.Try to go to a bigger dealer that handles medium and heavy duty trucks.They usually have more truck experience.

11. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

it's going to a med truck dealer...trouble here is that chevy is contacting them ahead of time to make sure they "check for a recall related" issue...basicly, call ahead to make sure they have their stories straight. Can you tell I don't trust dealer...and in fact if they are not covering it under the recall they are not going to be doing the work, we will do it here ourselves.

12. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

I didn't keep the papers but I had got a paper right from GM for my old 00' 3\4 ton I had for this problem. Never got to bring it in because it didn't do it and I got the paper after I crashed it. There was a section of it that said something about if you had paid for this service then you would be able to recover some if not all of the cost.

Wish I kept the paper for the info for you guys.

13. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I recieved the recall notice also.
    I did not take it in or do anything with it as yet, because I've noticed no problem.

Actualy, I noticed a problem back when I first bought the truck, they told me it was normal..

Maybe I'm just used to it. :confused:

At any rate, I've done nothing yet. Stays in the back of my mind to do soon though.

14. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

well oddly enough, the problem went away while plowing after my abs light came on, my brakes locked and I slid down a road and slammed a snow bank, now no ABS problems at all. Maybe the entire system fried and I won't have to worry about it :)

15. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

maybe just blew the fuse?

16. ChEc0

ChEc0 Member

i got a letter from GM stating that problem on my 2000 GMC 2500 and i brought it in and they fixed it and i havent had any problems since

17. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have a '97 K3500 - the ABS has been an issue since year 2. I can even remember the dealer telling me there is no problem until I forced them to take it for a 'test' drive. The quote when the guy came back was he had to go clear his pants before the guy could work on it.

The design of the speed sensor is a flaw. To upgrade to the new hubs that is suppose to fix the problem is $1,200 bucks! Mine got so bad a 2 months ago that I pulled the fuse. Ya' know what .... No more problems. When I hit the brakes I get what I expect and that is the ability to stop.

I could not find any recall from alldata on my '97.

18. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

chevy will only issue recall for 1500 + 2500 series, not the 3500 series. they told me the 3500's were on a acse by acse basis, but i had to pay to have them determine if it was a defect that was covered.

19. Up North

Up North Senior Member

just got my recall notice for my 1500 yesterday. It's a 2000 ext. cab Silverado and I haven't experienced any trouble with mine but will still take it in for inspection.

Buck

20. GA73

GA73 Member

the dealer lost money when he did mine. 3 hours to get the rotors off. after all that they couldn't get the sensors out. cha ching new sensors