1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy '98 1500 to Chevy '01 2500HD??????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Turftamer30, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Turftamer30

Turftamer30 Junior Member

I recently picked up a 2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 in beautiful condition. I have a '98 Cheyanne 1500 which had a 7'6'' super duty on it. I took off the undercarriage and all the wiring and now want to put it on the new truck. A friend of mine is going to help me modify the the undercarriage as he has done this three other times on his own trucks. Just wondering if anyone has done this before? I looked up specs for universal undercarriages and there seems to be a lot of cutting and welding, so I guess I don't see a problem with it...Just wanted some feedback. I just can't afford the $1700 my local plow guy wanted to put new undercarriage, harness, and smart touch in the new truck. That's another thing...haven't checked yet, but does the handheld smart touch match the old joystick? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A new mount is about $500 (or considerably less used), a set of headlight adapters are $50 (if you even need them depending on the exacts of the '98), a Smart Touch controller is about $250 if you want that too and and that's all you need to do the swap.

So, $800 including the controller (that isn't required but your option), yet your dealer quoted $1700 for the parts and install? Prices do vary and perhaps there's more details to this story but that's not even in the ball park. :eek:
  3. Turftamer30

Turftamer30 Junior Member

The place I use is really good. They wanted just over $1600 which included undercarriage, new wiring harness, smart touch, and labor. The light hookups are the same, so no problem there. I have already put my salter wiring in the new truck, and we're going to get started on the undercarriage tomorrow. I just hope the smart touch will work because I have become used to using that instead of the joystick. Thanks for the input. :)