1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 6.5l

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 94chevy2500, Mar 13, 2011.

1. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

anyone plow with the 6.5 turbo diesle? just woundering how my new ride is going to handle plowing heres a pic of my new truck pickin it up in the morning!!!

woot woot.jpg

2. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Is that a 2wd 3500hd? It will plow good and handle a decent size sander too.

3. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

yea its a 2000 chevy 3500hd 2wd 6.5 turbo dielse with 82k miles i have a 2 yard sander already its in my chevy 2500 and its a little to big for a pickup lol so that will be going in the dump then during the summer im going to be looking for a plow for it either fisher xls or extreme v seeing thats what i have now and the trucks already set up for a fisher

4. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

A friend of mine has an 02 gmc 3500hd with the 6.5.and a 9ft dump body. I had borrowed it a few times a couple years back. It has a 9ft x-blade on it and a 2 yard airflo sander, as long as you have decent tires and a load you will be fine. The 6.5.in a 3500hd won't win a drag race the way it is geared, but you will always get up the hills with a load. my buddy was always towing 10000 lbs of rollers and tons of wheelbarrows, tampers and other asphalt equiptment in the bed and never had trouble. You will love the 15000gvw as you can load it and not worry about the dot as much and solid front axle is great for a plow. I have been trying to buy my buddys truck off him since he got it new. The only thing I would look into is a external mount/cooler for the fuel pump module as that is a common failure because they overheat being on side of the fuel pUmp. I have always been a 6.5 fan and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Congrats on the purchase!!

5. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I used to have a 3500 with the 6.5. The funny thing about this engine is that is seems to have the same amount of power whether empty or towing a loaded trailer. Not a powerhouse but definitely adequate. Keep up on the maintenace as these engines are not known to go hundreads od thousands of miles like other diesels.

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Thats true, mine felt the same with a load or not, and the mileage was pretty close when working it. Not like a gasser that sucks down fuel if you work it. Get a remote mounted pmd cooler and put it behind the bumper. Under the hood is not good enough, it has to get outside. Been there done that. Get a spare pmd and put it in the glovebox. A freeflowing exhaust will be the biggest thing you can do for that truck, I only paid $300 for a full 4 inch kit including a new downpipe and muffler. Factory downpipes are flattened to install the engines, but an aftermarket 3 inch downpipe to 4 inch exhaust will wake it up like you wont believe. If you really want more power, an ATT turbo and computer tune will give you a bunch more. You'll never make it a drag racer but it will be a darn fine workhorse. And usually most diesel mods actually extend engine life, unlike gassers that strain everything.
    That is a great truck, I really like it and I think you'll be happy with it. Watch your temps, there are some cooling mods that you can do that will make it last; I adjusted my fan clutch, cost me nothing and it keeps the temps from ever getting scary no matter what I do. Heats about the only way to kill a 6.5.
    2wd is about the biggest negative with the 3500hds. As long as you keep it on level paved ground like parking lots or roads, you'll be just fine. Get into offroad, unimproved gravel like some of the stuff I plow, and you'll be in trouble.
    May want to go with a 9 foot straight blade if you're going to do a lot of plowing. Lot more durable than the 810pp or XLS. Less moving parts. My 810 worked great for a number of years, and when it works it's incredible, but it's so old and beat now everything is worn out, welded and replaced twice. I can't help but think, everytime something breaks on the plow, it's a part a 9' Fisher doesn't even have, so it wouldn't have broken.