1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 6.5 question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jimslawnsnow, Sep 7, 2014.

1. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

Have a 97 Chevy/Detroit diesel. Since spring it would occasionally die. It got progressively worse. Had some work other than the engine done at a shop. When to pick it up. It ran for ten mitutes or so at the shop then died when idling and would not start again until it was completely cold. Same thing happened to him again. He's not a diesel mechanic by any means. Any suggestions before I have it towed to another mechanic who knows diesels? Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well either the.injection pump or the driver module

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Has the PMD been relocated?

4. jimslawnsnow

from mn

not sure what that is

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

One of the most common failures with the DS4 pump on the 1994-2000 Chev 6.5L engines is the Pump Mounted Driver (PMD) located on the side of the pump which has been contributed to excessive heat build up of the PMD. The PMD Relocation Kit moves the PMD away from the area of potential heat build up and is mounted on an extruded aluminum base to give better heat sinking.

6. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

My 6.5 did that exact same thing a few years back.. PMD solved the issue!

7. jimslawnsnow

from mn

I remember reading something of it a while ago. I wasn't having problems then though