1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 6.2 Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by psdiesel24, Sep 9, 2004.

1. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

I recently came across a 89 chevy 3/4 ton with a 6.2 diesel and a banks sidewinder tubo with it. It also has a 8 foot uni-mount western plow. He is asking $1500 the truck seems to be in good condition. Is this a good price also does anyone have a 6.2 diesel they have for plowing and how they like.
    Thanks Tom

2. skybolt811

skybolt811 Junior Member

6.2 and the 6.5

:waving: If you need someone with all the right answers, good and bad, you need to email walt at SS diesel supply. SSDieselSupply@aol.com
    He is really nice and will help a lot. His business is centered around these motors. Tell him I refered you. Don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt.
    Steve

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The Banks kit is worth more than he's asking for the truck. Sounds like a steal if its in decent shape! That includes the plow too? Wow....

Make sure the glow plugs are in good shape, you'll need them in plowing weather.....

I read in one of the 4x4 magazines that adding the turbo kit to the 6.2 makes the truck behave like a 350 for driveability with the fuel mileage of a diesel. Maybe you can confirm that one for us....

4. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

thanks thats ill try emailing that guy and see what he says. Thats also what i figured is that the banks kit alone is worth what he is asking thanks for the advise i think im going to buy it.

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We have had deisels and were generally happy with them. The major issues are connected to the fuel injection system: The injector pump, the injectors themselves and the glow plugs are high ticket items and require specialized tools, limiting the number of shops which can replace these items. I think theses 3 items are almost 2k. I remember injectors pumps being 900 installed. The bottom line is deisels run forever with less maintenance but when they do need service it is expensive.

6. skybolt811

skybolt811 Junior Member

I agree.
    But I have replaced or upgraded any known issues witht the 6.5. The pump is nearly new, as well as big injectors. I have glowplugs from SS diesel supply. This beast will start at -30F
    I am a 6.5 expert. If it needs something, I know about it and have done it to my vehicles. If I didn't like the 6.5 I wouldn't deal with or own them.