1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 6.2 diesel 3500 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turfguy87, Oct 26, 2009.

1. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

Does anyone know anything about the 6.2 liter Chevy diesel made by Detroit Diesel?

I am considering buying a 1988 Chevy 3500 4x4 (automatic transmission) with the 6.2 liter diesel from a friend. Truck will have new injectors. No known issues. The truck has little rust (on cab corners) and needs new tires. Transmission was replaced recently with the upgraded version. The asking price is $2,000. Is this a good deal?

Were these good engines?
    Were they used on larger commercial vehicles?
    I know they were used on Hummers (both military and civilian models)

Is this a good plow truck?
    How does it compare in power to the gas versions?

Thanks... any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

For a wealth of info on the 6.2 and 6.5's you should check out dieseltowingresource.com there are people who live and breath those engines over there.

3. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

From that I understand, they are good if you are meticulous with maintenance. I have a chevy with the 6.5TD and its easy to work on and pretty cheap and easy to get parts. Beware though, they have no power and are slower than slow but they are decent engines.

5. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

What do you mean they have no power? Are they good for pushing snow? Do they have good torque?

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

the power you are going to get out of it is going to be little better then a good ole chev 350 it well plow ok, more importantly how is the suspension on the truck?

7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

when getting into an older diesel you have to remember that they are not the power house diesels like are out today. I have a simaliar truck with the same motor. its a great truck, it does plow alot of snow for me, and the best part about it , IT SIPS FUEL!!! if you need anything else feel free to drop me a email or pm.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have limited experience with the 6.2 but enough to know a few things. They are gutless but will push snow just fine. They are good on fuel. They dont really like to start when its really cold, they smell good IMO. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one.

Is it a SRW or DRW?

9. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

They are gutlesss in comparison to newer turbo diesels pulling campers and etc on the highways. They will push Snow like a champ, And average 20-25mpg to boot.

10. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

9' plow

How do you think a 9' plow would work on one?

11. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i had a 6.5 in one of my older tow trucks it has a western pro plow 8.6 it pushed good with the 6.5 but on feb 17/2007 i blew the oil line to the turbo so their went the engine the truck sat until may of this year when i stumbled on a 89 c3500 4 door 2wd with a good 6.2 pulled the 6.5 and put the 6.2 in i think i have more power then the 6.5 and can't wait to put the plow on :nod:

12. 4wheelposi

4wheelposi Junior Member

The 6.2 is as powerful as any gasser of that era, change oil, flush coolant, KEEP IT COOL. If it's the old square nose style with the solid front axle you will have one heck of a plow truck. I had a millitary version when I was younger. It could plow circles around any other truck i have seen. That truck with a flatbed and a 9' fisher is a plowing machine.

13. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

It's the style that was made until 1998 I believe.

14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Edit- I cannot read.

15. turfguy87

turfguy87 Member
    from OHIO

What????????

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i dont think the 6.2 had turbos i know the 6.5 did. correct me if im wrong though

17. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I typed something ridiculous because I misread something.

18. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

92 hd3500 straight axl 2wd