1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 6.0 shudder

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Nov 1, 2005.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My '99 Chevy 2500 with 6.0 engine has a slight shudder when taking off from a stop. this only happens for a split secong and its worse if I'm pulling a trailer. My first thought was needs new plugs but that didn't help. I've installed a new air and fuel filters. I run injector cleaner often too. Feels more like a engine problem than a power train problem but who knows. Does anyone have any suggestions? This truck has 65,000 miles on her. other than that it runs good.

2. dlcs,

Might be a stab in the dark but if you have the clutch type locking differential it will give you that condition from a dead stop. There is an additive that you put in the rear end that will help lubricate the clutches.

3. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

That was the kinda the samething that was happening with my old 00' 2500. Is there any noise that seems to come from the rear of the truck? Mine had a noise that sounded like a turkey call.

I woukd like to find what this condition is to. It was very concering. My truck had only 45,000 on it when I got it allmost three months now and it allready had the prob.

Good luck in your search.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You might not be very far off. I changed the diff fluid in August and put Lucas oil in it. Maybe i need that additive. Really its hard to tell where the shudder is coming from.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

How do I know if I have the clutch type differential?

6. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

a clutch type diff is one with a limited slip or posi.....
    Jack up the rear and spin one wheel the other wheel should turn in the
    SAME DIRECTION......
    or do some burnouts :) :) :)
    or find some dirt and gently powerbrake it.
    if you got two tracks you got posi

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I put the additive in for limitied slip and posi differentials and now I'm getting a pinging noise coming from the rear end. :confused: Maybe I shouldn't have used the additive?

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I thought you had to turn the driveshaft and see if they both turn the same direction. If it's in the air wont it be unlocked?

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Additive shouldnt hurt the diff no matter what kind of oil you have in it. As I understand it, the additive is only necessary when using conventional gear oil. Synthetics already have all the additives. I know with mine it acts up if it gets low, I lost some gear oil thru a seal once, realized it was screwed up when I was spinning the right tires on ice and the left tires were kind of ratcheting around, stopping every quarter turn. topped it off and its been great since.

10. If you've got a pinging noise coming from the rear end, now I would check the U-joints in the driveshaft. Eyeball them closely, look for rust coming out near the grease seals on the caps of the u-joint. If the u-joint is really bound up it will give you that shudder as well. Good Luck.

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. i took it to the Chevy mechanic today, they are suppose to look at it Thursday. The mechanic that drove it said most likely its the carrier bearing, will not know for sure till they open it up. Hopefully its an easy fix but you know how that goes.