1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 6.0 Liter Gas Milage?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DIESEL PLOWGUY, Oct 14, 2005.

1. DIESEL PLOWGUY

DIESEL PLOWGUY Member

Alright heres the deal Im looking at a regular cab 2500 HD 4 BY 4 and IM curious what kinda gas milage I can expect from it driving around city and highway empty not pulling or anything like that? Also what kinda milage does it get plowing? Im a mason so I will drive the truck around 300 -400 miles a week. Im a little nervous going with a gas cause my last truck was a 2004 FORD F350 Diesel. So please let me know what kinda MPG U guys see with this CHEVY 6.0 LITER GASSER.

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

anywhere from 8-12 depending on how heavy my foot is, and how often im towing. All this week ive gotten 8, but thats because ive been towing everyday with mowers in the trailer along with a pallet of sod, and a pallet of sod in the truck each day, so imo 8mpg isnt bad for what I was doing.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i get 12mpg all the time

4. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i get 12

i get 12 oll of the time

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Trailer full of mowers around town (ie: less than 35mph, .5 to 2 miles between stops, stop and go all day) 8-9mpg.

Around town solo (drive to bank, drive to mower shop, etc) 10-12.

Highway cruising @ 80mph down to shore.....15mpg.

Still only have around 8K miles on her though....I'm sure it will get better once it's broken in a bit more.

6. DIESEL PLOWGUY

DIESEL PLOWGUY Member

I was thinking if I get it I would add some FLOWMASTER EXHAUST and a HYPERTECK PROGRAMER and a K@N AIR INTAKE. With these mods I am shooting for like 12-13 CITY and 14-16 CITY driving it easy unloaded. Does this seem realistic?

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

As much as exhaust might help mileage.....It'll probably end up hurting!

You'll always be driving it by ear!

Biggest thing to do would be pulling out slow from traffic lights. The aggressive throttle mapping that these engines have makes this difficult.

You may want to consider a Diablo Predator programmer. You have a LOT more flexibility. Not just set tunes.

Stay away from K&N's.....stick with a stock airfilter.

8. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I have a 2005 2500HD Extended Cab. I get 9-10 miles a gallon and that is driving like my grandmother with no load. I think I got 12 mpg one time on a highway trip. This truck is the worst I have ever seen on gas. I read on this post all the time that people get 12-15 gallons with this truck. I dont see how. I honestly always get about 9.5 per/gallon on any given week, driving Ms. Daisy. Good luck

9. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

04 2500HD 6.0l 4:10
    Leave the stock filter and exhaust. If you get a handhelp programer get a Diablo. Hypercrap is very limited in what it can do. Better yet get a custom (mail order) tune. I was getting 12.6MPG before now 13.9 with a wait4me tune. Best $157.00 I ever spent and got to keep my stock pcm if I need it. There are many tunners to choose from: Westers, Nelson, pcmforless, etc.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The time I saw 15 was almost all highway....almost all 75-80 mph. That puts the engine in it's sweet spot. Lugging this engine will give you POOR mileage.

You need to spin this engine up into it's powerband to make it run efficiently.

I doubt I'd get much better than 15 if I were to slow down. Slowing down to like 55 would put the engine below it's powerband.

This engine also does NOT like to run good when it's cold....thus to keep it running, it's dumping fuel in to do so. Once warmed up, and running fast...2500+rpm, it's much more efficient.

11. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

TlS

Why is it that you say to stay away from K and N's?

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You'd be better off NOT having an air filter than to run a K&N.

Just not worth the damage they can cause to gain a couple of ponies.

13. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Junior Member

For comparison sake, bone stock 8.1L in a 2500 Avalanche, 2005, 5k miles.

In 2hi, mixed driving, I get 12 if I keep my foot out of it

In 2hi, highway I have gotten up 15 if I stay under 2500 RPM.

13 or 14 is more like it @ 75mph

No load.

Using auto 4wd loses you about 1 mpg across the board

My 1500 suburban (5.3L) gets 17 easily and up to 20 on the highway

These are actual numbers not the DIC numbers from the dashboard which I have found to be accurate over the long haul, but not tank to tank.

14. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I guess I'm lost about the whole reason why K and N's are bad..

15. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

There have been posted studies regarding the amount of dirt that gets passed. Also MAF contamination due to over oiling.
    One way to get higher flow is to have larger openings in the filter medium. Larger openings mean more dirt passes.
    It is also debatable if a stock engine needs more flow. Under stock conditions the paper filter flows more than the engine can use. How often do you run wide open at 5000rpm? If a lot than maybe you need more flow. If so than look into the truflow style foam filters they flow better and pass less dirt than the stock paper.
    One thing the KN will give you is more noise so at least you can think you have more power.

16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Boy, I'd really need to see something to back that up. I've been using K&Ns for years and have seen fuel mileage increases and cleaner oil. I just don't believe it, sounds like the kind of talk you get from grumpy people who like to bash everything. I think K&N and Summit and Accel and Fram and all those other cotton-gauze filter makers can show real data from all their R&D, and they wouldn't be by far the preferred filter for racing applications if they were junk. What kind of proof can you show? Paper is simply outdated technology, and it can't let as much air through, that doesnt mean that the K&Ns have gaping holes letting dirt and rocks pass through. I am sure there have been problems like you describe, and I bet they are either from a defective filter or most likely improper cleaning and oiling resulting in holes blown through it or over-oiling. I bet you were against radial tires when they were invented, too.

17. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

A manufactures test results are skewed to favor their product. You must read independent (not advertising supported magazine) tests.

Look at this study http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

or read this review: www.bobistheoilguy.com

Never said kn was junk. I am talking stock engines here. Only the uneducated
    would compare racing, where you need higher flow and tear down the engine every 1000 miles, to stock, where you don't need extra flow and expect the engine to last over 100,000.

Didn't mean to "bash" any thing, in fact I offered a better alternative, foam filters (truflow)

You probably also purchased a tornado air intake system their adds also claim 20 more HP.

18. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Calhoun,

How do go about doing this? Do you have to buy a programmer, then get a custom map programmed into it? Or do you send them your PCM and they tune it? Im confused.

19. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

You can send in your PCM and get it tuned and returned to you. You can also, for more money,get a replacement PCM that has the tune in it, and leave your stock PCM if you needed to put it back for dealer visits and such...I just paid a core charge and had PCM's For Less send me a PCM with a tune in it already..My factory one is on the shelf for emergencies or if I sell the truck....

20. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

JRK,

THanks for the info. I have been reading about wait4me all morning. seems like a great bang for the buck.
    Cna i ask a couple questions if you dont mind:
    -I currently have the stock 245's on my HD. Gonna switch to a 285 a/t tire w/in the next 2 weeks. how did the tire swap change your mileage.
    -what gains in MPG did u see w/ your tune. i can care less about more power or speed. i just want better fuel economy.