1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 6.0 engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by killed300ex, Jan 30, 2007.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Wondering how you guys are liking the 6.0 engines in your 3/4 ton trucks. Also what are you getting for gas mileage out of them? I am looking at getting a new truck and wondering if I will be happy with the 6.0.
    Thanks
    Evan

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Im happy with it. Got plenty of power for what i need. Average about 11-12 mpg. Thats city and highway.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I love mine. It is perfect for hauling, towing and plowing. I get about 12 to 14 mpg. Give or take. I LOVE IT!

Ryan

4. payton

payton Senior Member

in town i normally get around 12. on the highway i can get up to around 17..

few mods..

ecu flashed and reprogrammed.
    k&n fpik kit
    3" exhaust with flowmaster replaced the pipes from the headers back.

due for a tune up soon.

5. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i like the 6.0l the thing i dont like is the trans 27k miles and its starting to slip and dont tow

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Plenty of power. When I really get into it, it takes off like a rocket. Has pushed anything I put in front of it so far. New in October and 2,600 miles so far. Getting 10 -13 mpg.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Love it!!! Get 10-15 mpg city/highway. Plenty of balls for the truck

8. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Good to hear everyone likes the 6.0 I am hoping that is what I end up with if not a diesel. Time will tell all depends on what truck I can get for the best deal.
    Evan

9. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I wanted the 8.1L but couldn't find one at the end of the year, so settled on the 6L. Have been very happy with it, even when towing a 7000# excavator on a 3000# trailer. It labors a bit up hills towing that load but handles it like a champ. I get about 12mpg in mixed driving, about 9mpg when towing that load.

Pete

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I have documented every ounce of gas put into my truck since I bought it, side notes- I had new tires put on, so the speedo from 'new tires' down to 'flash' may have been off. I added a Westers tune, and the Tug Hill gas was pure highway, hauling 2 snowmobiles in an enclosed trailer, and about 400# in the bed. Theres also been occasional plowing for the month of January.
    But I do love the truck.

http://www.jeff98.com/images/2500HD/2500HDgas.xls

11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Mine's been great, but it clatters alot when its cold for about 30-45 seconds (piston slap, well documented issue in the 99-02 range). Hauls quite nicely with about 3000# in the bed (I never trailer anything) and I get about 12 mpg on average right now (down from 13.5 before I cranked the T-bars 3 turns...need an alignment).

12. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Do you have to run 93 Octane with the 6.0.?

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like mine no problems i use 87 octane thats it

14. JeffNY;

You must be an engineer or something. I'm the same...drives wife nuts!

Anyway, I had a few comments...one on the 93 octane and the two on the actual mileage.

Why 93 octane? Low compresion engine and your certainly not setting any mpg records.

Did you correct for the tire size? If not, that should help a bit...3.7% going from 245 to 265s...

Also, My 8.1L isnt far off what your getting... I recently saw a change from an overall average of 10.2 to around 9mpg since I cranked her up, removed front valence, and installed 285s. I did correct for the 285s mathematically. I wonder how much the cold weather effects mileage...although I admit, raising it, bigger tires and removal of valence wasnt in the best interest of mileage...

15. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Stock, no you don't recommended fuel is 87 octane, but he said he flashed his ECU at some point, so I'm guessing he had the timing bumped, took out TQ management and couple other itmes along with the speedo correction for the big tires.

16. Tru dat...Tru dat....:eek:

17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks for that. I was wondering about how much effect tire size would have. The truck came with 245s. I put the Cooper 225s on it just because that's what I already had for snow tires. This is an '05 2500HD. I'll probably keep the tires that came with it for summer since I don't haul any type of load or trailer. But then would there be any advantage to getting 265s when these wear out?

18. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

I have a hummer with that engine. Power is great around town. I feel the power is not all that great. feel like it has good hp but TQ is not impressive. It struggled to keep the torque converter locked up and stay in over drive pulling a measly Two Place open snowmobile trailer with two snowmobiles. on the interstate running 75mph. got 9 mpg. I would get a big block if the Diesel is not an option for you.

19. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I feel like i get 8-10MPG. I mean really this truck is thirsty but then again what truck isn't? Power is decent and works well with the tranny. I feel it is not as responsive as I'd like. Going up a hill with a trailer full makes the 4 speed tranny work. Even with the trailer button pressed it just feel as if the tranny wants to keep you in 3rd gear and makes the engine feel weak. A quick tap on the gas to make it down shift will help that though.
    Don't expect to set any speed records with it in stock form. It makes more noise then output. Slam on the gas and it just feel like you should be going faster then what the engine sounds like. I'm sure it's a combo of the tranny and rear end plus tire size. The torque is there but speed isn't. (not that we want this engine for speed).
    All in all I am pleased with this engines performance. I personally don't like where the oil plug is though. The filter is fine but expect to make a mess changing your oil.

20. Cooper 225s? What aspect ratio? 75? Your mileage may have went down cause your running higher rpms. Man...I thought 245s looked small, cant imagine how 225s look...but I can understand since you already had 'em.