1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 6.0 CNG conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kris_Kris, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

This is my 2005 Chevy 6.0 gas converted to run on CNG (compressed Natural Gas).
    [​IMG]

The (2) sheds and storage bottles are the CNG compression equipment here at work.
    [​IMG]

The fueling station is open to the public and anyone can come and fill up. As of today we sell to the public for $1.80. If the extenders bill ever passes, It will drop to about $1.50
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the filler nozel. It is a big air hose like fitting. The gas goes in the tank at 4000 PSI
    [​IMG]

2. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

This is a 12 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent tank) It holds as much energy as 12 gallons of gas. When the truck runs out of CNG, It automatically goes back to gas.
    [​IMG]

There is a second set of injectors mounted on top of the motor. They are piped to the intake manifold just above the factory injectors. The system simply turns off the gas injectors and turns on the CNG injectors.
    [​IMG]

This green button turns the CNG of or off. When it is green it is running on CNG. It turns red when it is on gas. The bar on the bottom is the CNG gas gage. Here it is showing full of CNG.
    [​IMG]

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Interesting. What's the point?

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

This is our answer to high oil prices! We have plenty of natural gas right here in the USA!

5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

what was the cost of this conversion?

6. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

Well I had a few members ask about it. The point for us is fuel that is always about 1/2 price or less from gas. We are selling it for $1.80 but our cost is more like $1.00 per gallon. The gas here in Indianapolis is running abour $2.80 per gallon.

Also, we go 10K on oil changes and the motors last forever. While the truck that I drive has 150K on it we have several trucks with over 300K and they run like new.

7. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

The conversions run $7500-$12,000. There are tax credits that can pay for somr or all of the cost. With NO tax credits it takes us about 65,000 miles to save the first cost back.

Chevy is offering this as a factory option for the 2011 vans and 2012 trucks. Ford has it as a option on both now.

8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

do you loose any power? does it sound any different? this is pretty interesting!

9. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

Because the one I drive has the injectors just laying on the plenum (not inside the block like normal) you can hear them and it sounds like a diesel clattering at a idle. Once you give it a little throttle it sounds like a gas motor again. The factory stuff you cant tell sound or power.

There is a slight power loss on the older conversions. The newer stuff might even be more powerful than gas. CNG is 136 octane and some of the kits take advantage of it.

10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Do you do the conversion in house? Or where do you have it done?

11. cretebaby

65K miles divided by 12 mpg = ~5400 gallons x $1/gallon savings = $5400.

Me thinks it takes a bit more than 65,000 miles for a pay back.

12. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

You thinks wrong. We only pay $1.20 per gallon. that is $1.60 per gallon savings. We sell it for $1.80.

We run about 30,000 per year so it is just a little over 2 years to recoupe the investment

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  13. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

The last few we had were Royalty enterprises in Ohio but there are places in Indiana and al over.

14. cretebaby

Obviously I was figuring our cost.

15. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Very interesting... I have never knew that these existed...

16. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i'm not comfortable with a 4,000 psi bomb sitting in my bed where i'd have stuff sliding around. if they had an frame side mount i'd be more comfortable.

Cool, different. but not the answer for the north east, CNG is unheard of up here.

17. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

The wall thickness on these tanks are almost a inch thick. They are far safer than the plastic or sheet metal fuel tanks. The best way to put that is would you rather cook on a stove with natural gas or Gasoline.

18. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have done both neither is a problem. I agree however that the tank is perfectly safe and is in no way a bomb I would be far more worried about my sheet metal gas tank rupturing.

19. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

It seems to me that the cost of this conversion is crazy high when we look at what it consists of. If they lowered the cost, to where it made sense to do the conversion, I think a lot of us would do it.

We have natural gas wells everywhere you look where I live and yet I can't think of one place where we could fill up a vehicle with CNG.

20. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

This is not for everyone. If you are not putting on the miles that it would not be worth it. Also it is better if you are compressing your gas. At this time it could be a toss of a coin but as the gasoline and diesel cost continue to climb, The cost of natural gas is actually going down.

The cost to convert is not much more that a diesel upgrade. The gas motor is 30% less efficient than a diesel but the fuel cost is 50% less. It will cut your fuel cost 20% over a diesel motor and 50% over a gas motor.