1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 5500 - Do I need 4WD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Patrick34, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

Looking to purchase a chevy 5500, do I really need 4WD? Any opinions, thanks.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Patrick
    I really think it depends on what kind of work you are going to do. I am in the same boat, and I feel that by going with a 25k gvw and putting a 6 yard spreader I should be fine in a parking lot. Additionally I will be out there with the storm, so no pushing 2 foot of snow for me.

How ever if I could get a 5500 with a higher then 19.5 gvw and 4wd I would.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do you need it? No, but personally I would get it. We have a F800 (now F650) with 2WD, put some ballast in it and it will push anything. Only been stuck a couple times when sliding off driveways\roadways.

It was a $25K aftermarket option for the truck we got, so we didn't go with 4wd, but if it would have been relatively inexpensive, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Dam thats alot of money, and yes I agree I would go with it as well

5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

YES, YES, YES,...Go for the extra money! I had a fully loaded garbage packer at one of my clients get stuck, I plowed him out and cleared the way for him, and he still slid off the driveway several times. If you are doing snoe/ice work, absolutely get the 4x4 option. You can amortise the cost over the next, say 10 years of the trucks life and it will pay for itself (like having good insurance!). payup

6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

If it isnt to much more.....

If it wont cost you to much extra the resale value will be worth it alone(4x4)....Depending on what the truck will be doing even if you need it only once a year you will be glad you have it.......It is all in what you can afford.

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Oshkosh...ABSOLUTELY !!! :drinkup:

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If 4X4 is an option, get it unless you really cant afford it. They would not be offering 4X4 if there was never any demand for it. It will be worth it, why would you want to run around in the snow without 4X4 knowing that it is an option. I have seen many big trucks loaded up in the back get stuck because they did not have 4X4. All it takes is a small slip up into a snowbank and your all done, and the only thing all that extra ballest that was supposed to keep you from getting stuck will be doing is making it more difficult for someone to pull you out.

Just my .02 there will be others that have done it and report no problems so listen to both sides and make your decision. Iam just giving my observations.

9. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

you never know when you will need it. :waving:

10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We have one truck, a C3500 dump w/ no 4wd. It plows big flat lots as long as a 4x4 is within 5 minutes. If you send out alone, it gets stuck. Great for salt. If you're going to pair it up w/ a 4x4 its great but don't send it out alone or it will cost you $.

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Think RESALE Pat....