1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 4x4 noises

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PTTP08, Dec 9, 2009.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I am a ford guy but, I found this 92 chevy 3/4 ton truck for cheap and low miles and runs dam good a grampa owned it and I found a good deal

I have a few ?'s about the truck when shifting into 4x4 today the drivers side front hub made this horrible sound like 2 gears were clashing. I than shifted out of 4x4 and shifted while the truck rolled at about 3mph is this normal? Is it better to shift while moving or stopped? Also in 4 low ? rolling or stopped?

thank you!!

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

4-low use neutral or park and 4-high I always just shift as long as I am stopped and never had any problems.

3. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

you need to be stoped to shift into 4x4 and it has to be in nuetral. you probably f*ckd something up if you where moving or if it was in drive.

i can shift out of 4x4 whie moving if its in nuetral but never in while moving even if in nuetral.

4. M&S Property

M&S Property Senior Member

You do not have to be stopped to shift into 4x4 high, you just have to be stopped and in neutral to shift to 4x4 low.

5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

what M&S said...
    Ive never had a 92 GM, but have plowed with a 74, 76, 79, 80, 89, and now a 97....All GM and I've always "shift on the fly" into 4x4. I just let off the gas a little when you do it.

Again, as M&S says... When you go from high to low 4x4,... stop and neutral..

6. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

Last winter I plowed with my '92 suburban, w/ a 4l80e tranny, and a 205 transfer case. I shifted into and out of 4x4 while moving quite often. In fact if it has auto locking hubs your front tires have to move in order for the 4x4 to engage. I wouldn't recomend shifting into 4x4 while driving over 25-35 mph though.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You swapped a 205 into the Sub?

8. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

The 205 was swapped in because I was going to do a solid front axle swap in the truck, but the snow started falling, and I just never got around to it. I work part time for a junkyard, so I am able to get parts for older 4x4 trucks for free. That truck was retired this past august after blowing up in the woods on me, but man did I have fun with it before it went.

9. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

farmer,
    Did you have to get an adapter to bolt the 205 up to the 4L80?

I put a 700od infront of a 205 in my 72 half ton Chevy pickup. Had to get an adapter to do it. went from 3:08s to 3:73s...love the difference!

10. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Thank you for all your wisdem! you can shift on the fly below 30mph and all 4 tires have to be going the same speed or the front hub grinds I found this the hard way. 4low neutral and stopped

11. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

it was a divorced unit, so no adapter had to be made, just a custom output shaft for the tranny to transfer shaft. The project I am thinking about getting into now, is switching my 88 F-150 from an IFS to a solid front. I have 3:55's in the truck right now I believe, and want to switch them to either 3:73's, or 4:10's

12. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I've got a GM, Dana 60, single wheel, 4:10, front axle I'm thinking of selling, if you know anyone?

13. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

Is it the drivers side or passenger side pumpkin, and is it the high pinion dana 60 or the standard dana 60?

14. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

The GM has a passenger side pumpkin , Im pretty sure it is a standard pinion.

15. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

I will ask around, and see. I am needing one with a drivers side pumpkin for my truck. any idea on how much you would want for it?

16. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Wasnt sure of an 88, but, I thought most of the Fords were driver side setups. Will probably ask 800/ offer./ interesting trades maybe?

17. farmer1009

farmer1009 Junior Member

I will have to do a little research and see if the calipers and other outer stuff will work going from IFS to the 60. If they will I have a transfer case that I can swap in to move the pumpkin to the passenger side.I will have to drop the transfer case anyways to achieve the kind of lift I want.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I can tell you the Ford 60's are their own design. Rotors, bearings, spindles, outer stub shafts, caliper brackets and calipers are all their own.