1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 4500 stalling !

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Superior L & L, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have a gas Chevy 4500 that will randomly stall. It can be 2 mins into the trip or 20 mins into the trip. It typically keeps stalling after that. It will fire right back up and drive off.
    We gave it a full tune up. New crank sensor and some other odds and ends. Dealer has it and it didn't stall for them. It also wasn't throwing codes

HELP please

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Year? Engine?

3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

Fuel filter

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

^Agreed that it's fuel supply, but I can't imagine a fuel filter which is THAT severely clogged, and if so, I can't imagine it running at all. I say fuel pump. If it's anything like the fuel pump they use with the 5.3 then it's a common failure.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

What motor? Is it the 8.1?

My C3500HD with an 8.1 was stalling out and sometimes would throw a code and sometimes not. It ended up being the crank sensor.

So, I replaced not only the cam sensor in the front of the motor but the crank sensor at the back of the motor also and it solved the problem.

I know you said you replaced the crank sensor, but are you sure you didn't replace the cam?

If the sensors were replaced correctly, then I vote fuel pump.

Just double checking.

6. Superior L & L

from MI

It is a 2004 with a 8.1 motor. Didn't do the crank sensor. But did do the fuel filters. My mechanic is at a loss. He doesn't want to keep throwing parts at it but he said it was either fuel delivery or computer.
    We already replaced a $4000 computer on our other 4500 so I'm hoping not on this one.

7. White Gardens

Do the crank sensor, almost guarantee that's the issue. I think there was even a recall at one time for the crank sensor in the 8.1.

It's a pain in the butt to get out also, at least on my truck with the standard truck cab and lack of room between the firewall and engine block.. Took almost 2 hours and a special tool I made to get the o-ring to release. Then two minutes to put the new one in.

I got an AC delco replacement off of Amazon for a fraction of getting it at the dealer. Even if you have your mechanic do it, it's still not an expensive try to get it fixed over the cost of replacing a computer.

I hope you've got a little more room on your 4500 to get it out.

EDIT: When my symptom would arise in my truck, it would either stall out at a stop or go into a limp mode without throwing a code. All I usually had to do was turn the truck off and back on and it would be fine for a while.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  8. Superior L & L

from MI

I miss spoke. We have already done the crank sensor, but not the cam sensor.

9. White Gardens

Doh!

Do the cam and see if that helps, but otherwise I would think you've got some other problem going on.

10. Superior L & L

from MI

Still at a loss. Replace everything everyone suggested. Still stalls

11. White Gardens

Can it be anything to do with the wiring/electronics for the fuel pump?

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It wasn't throwing any codes or the CEL isn't on?? Big difference, I guarantee there are codes in everyones trucks. Someone said something about a recall on the crank sensor, pretty sure it was for 01' What are you reading codes with?

13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What will useful is check fuel pressure while driving

Isn't it coil pack on each spark plug?

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I know this might sound stupid and I'm sure it has been checked but, here goes anyway. Have you checked the battery terminals to make sure they are tight, or the cables for wear or corrosion?

15. Superior L & L

from MI

It was at the dealer and it had no relavent codes.
    We put a fuel pressure gauge on it and just before it would stall it would drop to less than 15 psi. It did this a few times so we replaced the fuel pump and it worked for a week then went back to stalling.

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Did you replace the fuel pump with an aftermarket unit or an AC Delco replacement? If aftermarket I would not be the least bit surprised to find out that a new pump failed shortly after installation.

17. Superior L & L

from MI

Last time it happened half way though the night plowing it lost all power. Battery gauge was jumping from zero to 18 volts then acted like battery's were dead. This was after a hour of plowing. We jump started it and it worked fine for half hour then started stalling again. We took both battery's out and had them checked at the auto parts store and they tested good.

18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How about the battery ground?

19. Superior L & L

from MI

When we reinstalled the battery's I did notice one of the negative cable eyelets was loose. I put that on better, it hasn't stalled since but I've only ran it back over to the dealer.

20. Superior L & L

from MI

I'm 90% sure it's a delco replacement. Our local parts store is ac delco and I get most everything there