1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 4500 dump truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by R.J.B., Nov 6, 2012.

1. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

Ok so today i went and looked at a 4500 chevy kodiak, It is 2wd,has the 8.1 gas motor,manual options. Has central hydro with under tailgate spreader and 10ft fisher mc plow, My question is that it is a 2004 with 90k on the odometer and the guy is asking 21,000. is this a good price???

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

3. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

thanks! Haven't really found anything even close and that one is pretty much right on.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Not the worst price in the world. But these truck are simply glorified pick up trucks. Gm did a real bad job on these. We have done injectors on one of ours twice and the gas one has had problems for the last year. Computers are above the wheel wells and takes a beeting from road salt

5. WIPensFan

What are you looking to do with the truck? I have a C6500 for sale. Are you set on a 4500?

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I'd go with a early 2000 6500. Plowing power house that actually turns way better than u would think

7. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

i am going to use it for plowing,salting for winter then going to use it for mulch and gravel deliveries for a buddy of mine. And towing an excavator for him. Can u send me pics of your 6500?

8. WIPensFan

It's listed in the for sale threads on here. I'm asking for $24500 in hopes of selling before winter. It will haul 6 tons legally. It's a great truck, you should seriously consider it for all you plan on doing. here's the link:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=137464

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'd go for it for a couple of reasons.

If your not looking to get a CDL.

If yes, then you can plate the truck for 16k (which is around what the GVWR is) and haul a 10k trailer and stay under CDL.

Or, plate it for 20k, which is doable for that truck and pull a very small trailer.

As for the make and model.

I drive a C3500HD with the 8.1 and it's a beast of a motor. It does way more than I expected it to and is a great plow truck.

It has a 9' fisher plow with pro-wings and does great. After our 12" blizzard a couple of seasons back, it got worked and did great. My sub with a couple of tractors was amazed at the power the truck has when I would blow through some extremely tall drifts and keep pushing the pile to the end of the run.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If the trailer is 10k GVWR then the truck won't matter if it 16k or 26k GVWR.

11. White Gardens

But isn't the combined gvwr of 26k the limit to CDL?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It is when the trailer is over 10k GVWR.

Trailer under 10k doesn't need a CDL untilt he tow vehicle is over 26k.

13. White Gardens

Hmmm, I always thought that the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer in tow dictated the CDL rule.

Might have to look into that. Even though my 10k trailer is enough, might give me another option when getting a different truck.

14. White Gardens

I think your right if I'm reading this correctly.

Just saw this on the Illinois DMV.

Class A — Combination of vehicles with a GCWR* of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

15. JOEC

JOEC Member

I have a 03 4500 and its a beast. We have 36000 miles on it. Someone gave me 24,000 I'd let it go. Plow,under tail gate and central hydraulics. It cost 60,000 plus for a truck like that now a days. These are all reasonable prices.