1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 4.3L ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MSplowing, Jan 1, 2011.

1. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

I have a 2000 chevy blazer i use while blade is on the truck all winter been driving it between snow storms and i'm only getting about 10 mpg. I've changed the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, distributor and button and still getting 10 mpg, it has the 4.3 in it so it should be getting around 17. Any one have any ideas on what else it could possibly be? It isnt throwing any codes i cant really think of anything else it could be other than maybe dirty gummed up injectors?
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

easy answer GAS HOG thay drink gas.

4.3 good motor. but in the s10 and mostly blazer thay drink it.
  3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I had a 2002 s10 4x4 4.3 and I regretted buying that truck since a month after I bought it. I bought it for a DD because I wanted a truck and 4x4, but wanted decent mpg. BIG mistake. I would rarely get over 16 mpg unless I was on a long trip. In 4x4, forget it, 10 to 12. Put it like this, my dad driving like a dad does (slow and easy) got close to the same mpg with his 2500HD. GAS HOGS
  4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

To say you not drive correct.

How can I pulled 23 mpg out 94 explorer 4 door 4wd with 4.0L v6?
    I don't drive like maniac drivers.
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

totaly diffrent vehicle. not even close. those do get better mileage and eat less front end parts like the gm stuff.
  6. bill7101

bill7101 Member

its amazing that you got that milage with an explorer, i have a 96 with the 4.0 that cant get over 16 and its not an awd or auto 4x4, and i drive it very very easily
  7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

When I bought it was 7 mpg with granny drive. Everything on emission system mess up. Cost me $200 in parts now I average 20 mpg in city/highway. I check this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=134068

But there 1 time I wish I didn't buy explorer with automatic they terrible sluggishbox for tow. It great for drive but it couldn't pull tiny trailer.

Lot blazer owners I talk average 15-18 in city but during summer they get 20-26 mpg. They are older than me so they drive gently.
  8. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You say it has a blade on it?
    well you may have answerd your question there.

3-500lbs on the front extra
    and a big "U" shaped cup pushing aginst the wind.
    plows are not exactly arrow-dynamic

Shut up "V" plow guys, I don't want to hear it :)
  9. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

I had a 1997 GMC jimmy with the 4.3 (same thing as what you got) and it rarely peaked at 15mpg. (that is only driving, no plow or 4wd engaged). Just a gas guzzling pile of junk that constantly ate parts. (i am a chevy guy but those are plain junk). Most half-ton chev pickups will get better mileage with a 5.3 and have power to spare.

Don't get me wrong I went the whole gambit on trying to improve mileage -over-inflating the tires a little, synthetic oil, new air, fuel filters, pcv valve, plugs, wires, etc. to no avail; it maybe, i say maybe had a 1mpg change. (this is driving at the lowest reasonable speed in overdrive something like 50mph).

After the fuel pump died I got rid of it and my pocketbook is much thicker now! goodbye piece of junk!

The other question is this: how long do you let it warm up??? these 4.3's drink gas even when just idling for extended periods too.

I say get rid of it when you can -a suburban or half-ton would a great improvement..just saying. My 3/4 silverado gets 11mpg in the winter driving around and the 6.0L has tons of power!
  10. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

Right when i got it i was averaging 16 mpg quit driving it as much and when i started to drive it more i noticed i was putting gas in it every where i went. Your right when you say money pit, i've replaced fuel pump 3 front hub assemblys, ball joints and so on. I was going to sell it this past fall and just get a truck till i seen truck prices jumped back up again. Figured i'd wait till spring and sell it at tax check time and just buy another truck. I do have a 95 full size 1/2 ton truck with the 4.3 and it does great on gas even pushing snow.
  11. sswt

sswt Junior Member

yep im gonna have to agree that the s10 blazers are total crap....the fiance had one, best mileage running 90% highway and the rest rural driving was 15-17, mostly 12-13 for some reason the 4.3 in them just drinks the fuel.....

on the other hand i have a 4.3 in my fsc, and i get 15-17 while plowing and towing......otherwise i hover about 20....................hmmmm bigger, older truck with way way more miles on it and it gets 5 more mpg? yep pretty sure they designed the blazer to be a throw away vehicle that people would just deal with the milage