1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 3500hd reaf fender/quarter panel failure

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rich414, Oct 23, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I have a 2004 3500hd dulley with the plastic rear fenders or quarter panels , I am now on my second set of fenders. I know of 5 other truck in my small town that have cracked or missing pieces in there fenders. I dont think that this is an isolated issue.
    I have a few cracks and a few broken out pieces, I have the broken pieces. I have drilled the ends of the crack and placed clear thick tape over the cracks, this has worked to stop the cracking. I want to reinstall the broken pieces and try to get the fenders looking somewhat new...I went to the locate body shops and they want $$$$ to repair the problem, yet none have done the repair before...
    How many of you have/are experiencing this problem?
    What products are you using to repair the cracks and replace the missing pieces? Hot glue - fiberglass?
    What is the material that the fenders made of?
    Is there a Service Bulletin" on this issue?
    Are there steel fenders?
    Have your insurance company's cover the cost?

The only permanent solution that i can come up with is install a flat bed. This is about the same cost as replacing and painting the fenders.

What next???

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't heard of any Fords having this issue...

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

But seriously, that sounds like an insanely frustrating problem! I'd lean towards a flatbed myself.

3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

That is one of the reasons I looked for a single rear wheel 1 ton when I was looking for a truck. It took me awhile to find the one I ended up buying. I don't like the plastic fenders and like you, I've seen a ton of them cracked or broken. Good luck.

Wayne