1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 3500 Van Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by born2farm, Feb 3, 2013.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Our sidewalk van has a 350 Vortec in it that we are having some issues with. When you go to start it, you have to press the gas pedal to the floor, or it just sits there and cranks. Once you get it started, it idles higher than normal and blows black smoke out of the exhaust. We have pulled it off the road because it keeps stalling. Any ideas?

2. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Any codes come up? Light on? Could it be crank sensor? poppet nozzle injectors? Best bet would be to hook up a scanner and go from there

3. Blizzard1980

Forgot to ask what year is the Van?

4. born2farm

It's a 98. I'll have to try and get it hooked up. My one employee did the other night and I think he said something like MAS or cracked intake possibly. If we get a day off I'll get the codes read.

5. Blizzard1980

Ok. MAF sensor you mean? . Sometimes you can clean it with electrical connector cleaning spray. It might not work , thou. Just when you cleaning it to be very careful not to damage any fins in it. Also you could check a clamp on the far end of air intake tube where it connects to upper intake manifold. Lot of guys in shops dont bother clamping them down because its a PITA to get to. it could be sucking cold air thru and gives MAF sensors wrong readings for fuel mixture

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You can rent a 2013 tahoe loaded with 1200miles for $150 throw all the salt bags on a tarp in the back and hook up a trailer with atv/snowblowers. Not that we did that tonight....but I've heard....

7. born2farm

Ya I meant MAF, sorry long day. I'll pull the sensor and clean it and make sure all of the hoses are tight. Just not enough time in the day right now.

Luckily we have a spare truck that we put everything in to get us buy.

8. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Now that... is Genius!