1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 3500 --- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The Duke, Apr 24, 2007.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I'm looking at a 1993 3500 extended cab truck. It has a 6.5 diesel that was apparently rebuilt about 1500 miles ago, but it blew 2 pistons on its drive from California to Wisconsin.

The body is in pristine condition with no rust.

I was wondering what a fair price would be for it. Also, does anyone know what other diesel engines would fit in this truck? I would really like to put a diesel back in, but was wondering what would fit in it besides the 6.5. Preferably something much more reliable than the 6.5. I don't want to waste money re-rebuilding the one in there since it is rather unreliable anyway.
    I was told that a 350 gasser would bolt right in as well......Can anyone verify that?

TIA

2. I'd go with a gas engine...454 or 350. Should bolt right in as both are factory options. Best to get a donor truck so you have everything (computer, harness, etc....).

3. Butterman

Butterman Junior Member

I don't know if a 6.2L would fit, but with a Banks turbo on it they are pretty good motors from what I have been told. Ask your Chevy dealership what would fit and what you would need to make it work. I have always had good luck with 454's. They suck gas like crazy, but will pull anything you want.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

the 6.5 is not as bad a motor as you would think. If it burned up pistons it has problems, and if it was just rebuilt then something was done wrong. Any warranty on the motor? Another rebuilt 6.5 is going to run you $3500, used low mileage maybe could be found a lot cheaper. Best reason for staying with a 6.5 is the ease of hooking everything back up. If you go to a gasser you need to do the fuel system, harness, computer, everything, its not as simple as it once was. Before I put a gasser in a diesel truck I would just find a used gasser and buy that instead. No shortage of good used Chevys around.

Due to many peoples lack of understanding about 6.5s they have gotten an undeserved reputation. The injector pump failures are almost never injector pumps, but rather the pump driver. Dealers misdiagnosed them so they could bill the factory $2500 rather than $400. So the factory now warranties the pump to 110,000 miles. All you need is a pump driver mounted away from the engine heat on a remote heat sink and you've fixed that problem. Just a myth.
    Everyone raves about the Cummins, well the new ones are obviously more powerful, back in the 90s they were nothing special. Their number 1 advantage is the aftermarket support. If you have the money you can get crazy power out of a Cummins. 6.5 had a different injection system, doesn't take as well to horsepower upgrades. But stock for stock apples to apples a 6.5 is a little stronger and faster. Mine has just basic upgrades of exhaust, shift kit and mechanical turbo wastegate control, and I can run with a stock 454 or beat a stock Cummins. When I add an intercooler and performance computer I should be able to beat a mildly modded Cummins 12v. But that's about as far as it will go. With a special block and 18:1 pistons, guys are getting up in the 300 hp range, but that's a ton of money and still won't compete with a mild Duramax.
    I love the diesel for plowing. It just isn't working as hard, the fuel economy isn't hit as bad as a gasser when it's working. The low end torque is so superior, you don't spin like a gasser, and you can push mountains of snow without attacking it like a maniac. I've gone over the scales after picking up mix at 12k+, and still accelerated up to speed with no hesitation and no heat. Try that with a gasser. It'll do it, but it won't do it forever. And as for a 454, they are great motors but keep some spare exhaust manifolds around because everytime they got hot (ie; plowing snow with little airflow under the hood) they crack.

If you're interested in learning more about the 6.5, check out dieselplace.com

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

DetroitDan is correct, the 6.5 can be a great motor. Go to Dieselplace.com and got to the 6.5 forum and read to your heart is content.

6. 2007-GMC

2007-GMC Junior Member

a 350 gasser would bolt in but man do you have to change a ton of other parts fuel tank(s) lines bell housing (i think)..... that truck with a blown motor would be around 6500.00 that would be here in Massachusetts ... Trucks for some reason hold there value very well here