1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 3500 Cracked Frame Issue: Just About Resolved

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PetalsandPines, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Looks like GM is going to replace the frame on my truck boys! Without getting into full details and getting fired up for no reason and back and forth arguing....Lets just say that GM is 99% going to stand behind their vehicle. Oh by the way...the 810 blizzard was a gm approved aftermarket application...unfortunately for the gm frames it tests the limit of the truck...In respects to weight, the truck actually DID come in within legal limits, however it is known amongst gm engineers that some trucks with a certain combination of factors can lead to a frame failure and there are kits available to address this issue. But in retrospect there is not a lot of my particular truck setups (exactly) across the US....and me buying my truck from the 3rd Largest Chevy dealer in the nation helps in pulling the facts together for evidence to GM... Thanks guys for the spirited debate....I'll keep you posted..PS (I told you guys GM is reading this!):waving:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

good to see a positive outcome for you with gm as stated earlier that is the only trucks i buy. good to know they stood by it

3. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Well it looks like GM stood up to the plate and did the right thing. Kind of gives me some more confidence in them. Thanks for the update!

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well glad to hear they are probably going to fix it. Put some gussests on it before going plowing.

5. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

WOW,

I hope the "Member" that ragged your azz for being over the FAWR apologizes to you for his constant ragging about how you overloaded it...........:eek:

We'll see if you get what you deserve from the members here !!

Thumbs Up

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Wow thats great!!!! Thumbs Up

7. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Hey, that's awesome P&P. I'm really glad this'll have a favorable outcome! Keep us posted!Thumbs Up

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Glad to see that you didn't just bend over and not taking it up with chevy. Couldn't ask for a better result!

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Glad to see they are doing the right thing. I love my GMC and its comforting to know they are taking care of the customer.

10. PetalsandPines

what really kind of helped is the sales manager of this large dealership had a contract with a local plow operation that had the EXACT same setup as mine.....Guess what happened to HIS truck? Same exact crack, same exact location...all in all I will be happy Thumbs Up..... and the dealer even stepped up to offer a temporary frame weld from a welding service down the road in case we get hit with snow before the frame arrives...but i politely declined because i just dont want to chance anymore damage to this vehicle. It still drives straight and I want it to stay this way.... I also promised to take the "lemon" advertisement signs down once we get the approval....You could read those signs from 2 blocks away! I love the duramax and allison combo.....nothing reminds you of how powerful a setup this is until you have to plow with an old meyer straight blade on a 97 Ford :dizzy: I will say this also in defense of this truck and the blizzard combination, it took me twice as long to do my contracts with the ford/meyer setup.There is nothing better than being able to put snow where you want to and avoid trails because your snow is trickling off one end while your wind rolling on the other!

Oh yes and i will be adding gussets to this frame!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  11. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Thumbs Up ATTA BOY!!!!!

12. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Maybe, if you ask nice the dealer might add the gussets for you?

13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

how long does it take for them to swap the frame. gotta be a weeks worth easy

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I bet GM will do it without him even asking.

15. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Glad to hear you caught a break-no puntended- now get to work.

16. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Nice glad to see they are taking care of it. I couldn't believe how bad it was when I saw the pictures.

17. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

This'll be a good test of those gussets. Let us know how it looks in another 50k miles!

18. PetalsandPines

Got another update tonight as another owner of a large dealer around here (brother) of my chevy dealer called me at 8:30 and reassured me that this looks like a go.....Found out there was a communication breakdown between the assistant body shop manager and the regional rep. Once a legal issue was clarified it was a no brainer and the chevy dealer went to bat for me....Honestly next year, I think i'm gonna scale back the plowing to a very small route or possibly just get out because of the ars kickin i took this year.. Possibly just take the plow off entirely and just put the blizzard on my old truck..off topic but....Did you ever think all of us plowers should unionize? I mean I know unions are not really very useful in this day and age and a lot of times destroy companies (imho) but think about us..many of us are plowing at rates (adjusting for inflation) that are comparable to the 1970's and 80's...There are just too many people waiting in the wings...full of vim and vigor that truly dont know the real costs behind this business...When I'm Plowing at night on a circle with million dollar houses i often see 5 different companies and think just how many of us cross each other's plow routes....we should have a trade system....this person can have this area, this person will take that area...this contractor can trade these houses for another one's houses.....Just a rambling thought...but I swear i see the same trucks all night over a 5 mile stretch at night.

19. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

Thats awesome man, I hope if i ever have problems they will step up to the plate as well. And Mr know it all from the other thread DEF owes you an apology. Guess his facts didnt pan out the way he thought..Good luck with the new frame.

20. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My route is 54 mi because that person is a friend of them and its another quick $250-$300 .
    If I got rid of 10% of my accounts my route would be ~25mi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.