1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2wd 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BDEMOTT, Dec 27, 2005.

1. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

I have a chance to get a good deal on a 3500. The ones with the 19.5in wheels. The only thing im worried about it being able to push snow with jus 2wd. just wondering if anyone has any experience with these trucks. Thanks

2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

19.5 wheels I guess your talking about the 3500hd. They are good for open lots on level ground. I wouldn't send one out in a big storm without pairing it with a 4X4. They are known for not having alot of ground clearance with a plow on.

Keep it on flat lots and you'll be fine. You'll need a good amount of weight in the rear, and good aggresive tires. I'd suggest an 8.5ft blade to clear the rear wheels.

3. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

Well I have an 810 that is on my Dodge and it handles it great. I was thinking about putting it on the 3500hd and using it strictly for comercial, and then buying the blizzard 860 for dodge. I want them to be interchangeable. Im just comcerned about pushing 10ft of snow with 2wd, but hopefully enough ballast will do the trick.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have that exact truck. I used it for plowing for the first 5 years. I had a 9' Western for it. It only got stuck once and that is when it was put off the road. We only used it with the salter fully loaded. That would be 7,000lbs in the box. We used it in wide open flat areas and it worked great. Last year I put a 9'6" Fisher V on my other 3500 but took the plow off this winter because it only did one location for plowing before going to salt 9 places and it turned out to be to expensive to plow only one place. We never got this truck stuck but had a hard time pushing the 8" storm last year. Once I cut the first pass in for him it worked fine, but a little slower then a 4x4.