1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500HD grease fittings/lube points

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mautore, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mautore

mautore Member

A couple of weeks ago I bought an '02 Chevy 2500HD. I'd like to do a complete service on the truck (oil, lube,etc..). Does anyone know how many grease fittings there should be? I crawled under and located 5, but I thought there would be more.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

grease fittings

i think there 7 , ball joint's upper and lower, idler arm ,center link ,drag link .:salute:

3. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

on my s10 theres 15 grease fittingsfor the front end. (some that are true PITA to do lol)

7 seems to low.

4. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

good q i believe 7 seems close but i dont count
    I will count tomorrow

5. K1500

K1500 Junior Member

There are 11 grease fittings. two upper ball joints two lower ball joints, two outer and two inner ball joints, two on the idler arm and one on the pitman arm.

6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

what grease do u use

7. K1500

K1500 Junior Member

I use Mobil 1 synthetic.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, no sense greasing it if you aren't going to get all the fittings.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Where are the inner and outer balljoints?;) But k1500 is right there is 11 I use Amsoil HD with moly.

10. mautore

mautore Member

I still don't think I'm finding all the grease fittings on my 2500hd. Does anyone know if a service manual exists for this truck?

11. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

Have you had any of the ball joints replaced? some of the replacements dont come set up to be greased, so no fitting. that may be why you cant find them all.

12. zztarg

zztarg Member

This is exactly correct, although they can be hard to see/find if your lighting is poor or they're covered with crud. Give all these areas a good cleaning and inspect them with a good light.

13. mautore

mautore Member

Harley, I haven't had any of the ball joints replaced, but the previous owner may have.
    ZZtarg, you sound pretty sure that 11 is the correct number, I'll check the areas mentioned by K1500.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats because he's 100% correct.

2 - upper ball joints
    2 - lower ball joints
    2 - inner tie rods
    2 - outer tie rods
    2 - idler arm
    1 - Pitman arm

Which equals 11.

The lower B- joint fittings can be tough to see as they poke out through a small access hole in the lower control arm. A little digging with a small screwdriver and you'll find them. One points toward the front of the truck and the other points toward the rear. Don't miss the upper idler arm fitting either as thats the #1 wear point on the GM's. Pulling the plastic skid plate makes access to the various steering fittings MUCH easier.

15. mautore

mautore Member

Thanks B&B, I appreciate the help. Looks like I'll be crawling back under her this weekend.

16. zztarg

zztarg Member

When I first did mine the first 7 were easy to spot - the last four were a challenge. I usually do it from underneath with a nice long hose on my grease gun to reach the idler arm fittings (the upper idler arm is easy to miss).

There are some pretty good pics at:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=402

Crud around the ball joints can hide the lower ball joint and outer tie rod fittings.

The idler arm fittings are awkward to reach and difficult to get good light in to. I'll usually shine a light down from the top and work from the bottom since I have the truck on ramps to change the oil anyway.

This all makes me realize that I'm due for an oil change.

17. mautore

mautore Member

zztarg, thanks for the link to the pics. They look like a big help. I'll be searching for all the fittings tomorrow.