1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500Hd diesel able to handle plow??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bsmitty, Mar 31, 2011.

1. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Hi

I have a 2004.5 chevy 2500Hd crew cab with a 6.5 foot bed and the duramax diesel. I am looking at putting a snowdogg 8 foot extreme duty plow on my truck. My question is there are no plows that are designated for my truck. Can I put that plow on my truck and will it handle the weight. If anyone has any advise it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I know 2 guys personally by me that run 9'2" V's on CC/sb and an ec/lb duramax. Crank the torsion bars a few turns and add timbrens and you'll be fine!

3. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

no plows designed for your truck? please elaborate...

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I think he means the quick match on all the manufacturers websites don't come up with anything

5. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Crank the torsion bars a few turns to gain some extra front end height, add a set of timbrens to the front end to replace the factory bump stops to eliminate sag, add ballast behind the rear wheels to offset the additional weight added to the front and have fun with your new toy, it will be a plowing machine.

6. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Yes that is exactly what I mean. No quick match comes up with a plow for my truck. I have already done the torsion bars, I would just have to add timbrens. The funny thing is that the snowdogg dealer by me won't even install the plow because there is no match for it in the system. I guess I will have to try my hand at doing the install myself. Thanks for the feedback!

Brian

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck will handle the 8' fine. Installing it yourself isn't bad. On both pickups I've owned I installed all the plow stuff, take your time and it goes pretty well.

Here's my ec/lb dmax with a 9.2 poly v. Tbars cranked up, no ballast. Pointed downhill slightly.
    [​IMG]

8. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

If your truck's not rated for that plow, mine is (04 2500HD 6.0 gas ec). I know I should ask for some cash, but I offer a straight swap for your stinky diesel. Just the kind of nice guy I am :drinkup:

9. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Thanks for the offer but I would just buy another truck in addition to that one if it doesn't work out. I think it will manage though. Thanks anyway.

Brian

10. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

:cry: I was hoping to finally be able to afford a diesel....oh well, worth a try!!

11. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Fisher and all of them dont recomend it. But since you are so far out of warranty its up to you. Trust me I will be the first to tell you not to do it if its a waranty issue. But since its old. Yeah throw one on. Crank up the bars and get the front end re-aligned. Keep in mind after cranking the bars your ride quality will go down. Also do some research on the frame cracking up front. I think there maybe some mods you can do to prevent this.

12. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

To go along with Mr Plow, here is a link to a thread for the gusset mod. I just had this done last week in hopes of preventing the frame cracking issue...B&B actually has pre-made blanks you can get from him for a very reasonable price. I prefer the belts and suspenders approach Thumbs Up

http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=422857&postcount=9

13. jake.jacoby

jake.jacoby Junior Member
    from Juneau

How'd it work out?

I'm looking at doing the same thing to the same truck... did you end up putting a plow on it and if so how'd it work for you?

14. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a '13 diesel, and Snowdogg doesn't even allow for a diesel in their quickmatch if I remember correctly. You live in IL like me, call Central Parts Warehouse in Tinley Park. They'll hook you up and install it for you if you want. They did mine. Good price, install was done nicely. By the way, why are you only going eight foot on that rig? You could go with a V-plow or their expandable wing plow if you wanted no problem.

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Good looking truck, but I think "Baby needs some new shoes"!

16. KL3540

KL3540 Senior Member
    from Almont

Any updates? What did you get? I am running into the same issue. 2009 ccsb diesel. I see my truck weighs 710 lbs more than a gasser.

He had his front end weighed at 4500lbs.
    The GAWR is 4800

17. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

the truck will take anything you put on it. just depends how much you have to crank torsion bars to handle the weight. for my 3/4 ton its only a couple of turns for a 7.5 foot plow....it will be fine and the diesel will push well

18. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The dealer won't install a plow that goes over your front axle capacity but the truck will handle any plow you put on it.

19. KL3540

KL3540 Senior Member
    from Almont

Beers are flowing... However, my closest dealer will attach an 8.2 boss to mine without hesitation. As a matter of fact, I tan across a guy who had my exact truck with a boss plow. He had it installed recently and says it doesn't sag at all. (Southern Truck ) imlay city... Seemed to be great people.

I called wiengartz of Ytica and they told me they wound even Bulls the plow for me... That made me laugh..:::

Ah well... Sooner than later I'll have a plow again...

20. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I called my Western dealer and he wouldn't install even a 7'6" straight blade because it was over my front axle capacity. I am guessing you will have to sign a waver for them to install it.