1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 2500hd dd alison boss or blizzard

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by albhb3, Dec 10, 2008.

1. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Ok guy first off this isnt going to be a pissing contest of egos here. I have a 07 2500hd crew cab with the dura/alison tranny I know i will have to put the timbrens in it and prob. bag the back. I am really split between the boss 9'2 vxt and the blizzard 810pp. I see alot of guys around here with the bosses on but the company my dad works for they own a 810 and they love it looks as good as the day they bought it about 4 years ago, and that includes the 5 miles of roads at the property it is on. I also know that the blizzard is heavier by about 100or so lbs.I know that you also cant have a million ppl in the cab with you as well. We do both resi and comm. properties as well and we usually dont get huge snowstorms its usually around2-5 and the occasional 8-10 and 12-15{maybe one a year}. I have heard good things about both on here. So any helpful suggestions are appreciated. Oh and no im not looking for any other brands thanksussmileyflag

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Although I have no experience with either, I will suggest this.... 1. Every plow basically lasts the same. Take care of it and it will take care of you. 2. 100lbs heavier for the Blizzard should steer you away since your truck (by dealers standards) shouldn't have a plow on it anyway. 3. Get the brand that has the closest dealerships and shops around that will ease the issue when something does break. GOODLUCK!

3. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

Are you going to be doing alot of backdragging? Ther 810 would be nice for that, I have only ever run Boss V's, same truck you have, easy controller which is a big plus. If you do alot of parking lots the Blizzard is the way to go. I will be adding a 09 2500HD CC Duramax and I will be mounting a 810 this time. Stonebrooke Equiptment in Mpls sells Blizzard. Call up Aspen Equipment in Bloomington, They carry the Boss, thats where I get all my parts.

4. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Treffert you think the extra weight will make that big of a difference on it seems to me you have good luck with the 8'2 ever try a 9'2 by any chance

5. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I am going to pass along some info to you. I have a 2006 durmax CC with a 810 on it. Last year I blew the front pig out. The dealer found that the top bracket brock awy from the frame. They weilded it back together and fixed the pig. Last week same thing happen. I take it in and the service guy calls the GM Rep to see if they have any advice. The GM Rep tells them "This vechle should not be used for plowing and no other warranty work/repairs will be performed." Heres the kicker. I bought the truck, had the dealer put the plows on (front and rear), and got an extended warranty for 7 years 92000 miles (had to pay and extra $300 for the snow plowing clause in the warranty). I know of three other guys that have the same problem and GM has denied claims on all of the. 1 guy has a Boss and the other guys a fisher. I was also told that the only chevy truck with a duramax you can plow with is a Reg cab with a snow plow prep package, but one of the guys I know had his warranty shoot down has that kinda truck.

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I would fight them on this. Remember they are hurting and probably are trying to make up some money in warranty work. I even heard one of the big 3 said to congress that the cars they sell are getting better in quality cause there has been a 27 percent drop in warranty claims. Oh is that cause sales are down by 50 percent? Anyway I would say fight. Especially since you paid extra for the plow coverage.

Bruce

7. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Well that sounds icky elite i would go after them too. Heck as long as you have the papers stating that nothing a good lawyer cant fix and heck you may never have to work again lol. Sounds like i should stick with the boss then

8. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I have had good luck with the blizzard 810. We ran western v's for a long time and bent a few wings too often. We where able to save alot of time on our lots with the blizzards and have had no problems other than a couple of bad hoses

9. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Hmmmm... so its more of a truck issue i guess you have to take it proverbly easy on the truck then. I assume your runnin the timbrens then too? How much balast and how many cranks on the t-bars would you rec. or have. oh and what do you mean by pig, can think of what that means? also did you have to put the tranny cooler and clutch fan in yours or were the temps good to go. The last thing is whats the diff. between the classic and the other??? Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  10. articstorm

articstorm Member

Why not go with the 860 speed wing. I installed a new one this year and it already has over 35 hours on it. Best plow I have ever used and weighs less than the PP. My truck is a 02' Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab with 8.1 and Alison tranny. The cost was a grand or more less than the PP. I bet when Douglas Dynamics gets the sales up on these the cost will follow.
    Dan

11. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

If you are still considering a Boss V, go with the 9.2. I had the front 4WD go out in my 05 ( in 2005) with 42k on it, I bought it new. Almost didnt warranty it because of plowing, just take it to a good dealer and ask before you purchase. There are some good dealers out there.

12. CompleteCare

CompleteCare Member

13. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I have spent the last 1 1/2 months looking for a truck. I wanted a chevy w/ the Fisher XLS (very simm. to blizzard) no Chevy / GMC dealer could get me an 08 gas, by the time I decided to buy another diesel they were almost gone also. One dealer in Mass had a good deal on one. When I told him I would buy it and I wanted the plow he wouldn't sell it to me. He said any plow on any ex cab or crew cab Chevy / GMC would void the warranty. This begs to ask the question "Why put a plow prep package on a truck that can't plow?" Any way this was the only dealer that told me the truth. When I asked all the other dealers they said "we will take care of you with any warranty issues" Yeah right!
    I bought a F250 w/ 5.4 and XLS today probably get it right after Christmas, then it will stop snowing for sure! Any way the my friend has about 5 Blizzards and loves them. I could never go with anything other than a Fisher (have about 12 of them) but I had "plow envy" every time I saw him plowing. Once Fisher bought out Blizzard I had to try the XLS, Hope I'm not dissapointed

14. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Bottom line is, if the truck doesn't come with a snow plow prep, dealer does not have to warranty it. You take a chance on it not breaking

15. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

That's not what the dealer told me. They said the Duramax isn't sold with the plow prep, but the gas crew cab and extended cab is, however it will void the warranty if you put it on. The only GM product that won't void the warranty is a standard cab w/ plow prep. I don't know if its right or not but when I started asking other dealers that's when I got the old "we will take care of you if we sell you the truck and its not a plowing related warranty issue"