1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500HD 2001 Reg Cab Long bed no start first try

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 6.5LTDFisher, May 5, 2009.

1. 6.5LTDFisher

6.5LTDFisher Member

Im looking at a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with 170,000 miles on it, (highway Miles). And the seller mentioned that the truck usually doesn't start the first key turn. But when you try and start it a second time it fires right up, also when it is hot, shut it off, it will fire right up. Didnt know if there was a sensor that could be doing it? I'm getting my mechanic to run through the truck Wednesday because the check engine light is on and ABS light is on.. Didn't know if anyone ever had the same issue? Thanks!

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Can you turn key in on position then off do for 2 or 3 times then try start if it start first

Then it could be fuel pump. Like my friend's97 gm suburban that don't start quick without turn key in on to pump gas to pressure.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Probably an ignition switch. I'm assuming the starter doesn't even engage?

4. 6.5LTDFisher

6.5LTDFisher Member

Starter is working motor no fire until second attempt

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Then check fuel pump but first did you try this?

Turn key in on position wait 2 sec then off then turn on do 3 times then try start. If same problem then it could be ignition.

6. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

check the crankshaft positioning sensor

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would not buy someone else's problem. Been there and done that:rolleyes: Check engine light on? Run away. Don't walk away

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Most likely the fuel pump. I had the same problem on my 10 HD.