1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500 ?

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by starsandstripes, Jan 26, 2009.

1. starsandstripes

starsandstripes Junior Member

Alright guys heres my question, I have a 97 chevy CK 2500HD with about 200,000 miles on it. Is it worth putting an 8' plow on the truck. I will only be doing about 20 residential driveways this season. Getting sick of using the snowblower!! My only concern is the transmission. The do's and the dont's for saving the tranny. I d hate to sink in 2800.00 into a tranny for a truck thats only worth 2500.00!!

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

You could buy a new trk, 500/mo paymnt, new plow 150/ mo pymnt... Now that transmission isnt all thay expensive..

3. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

stick the money into a plow, you will only get bigger and soon able to buy a new truck....good luck

4. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

don't need a new truck. that on is only getting broke in.

5. starsandstripes

Thanks everyone, it is scheduled for Thursday for the mounting....Pray for snow!!

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Why would you need a trans? Take care of it and you won't. Plus, who is charging $2,800 for a 4l80 rebuild?

7. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I paid 2250 to have my 4l80 rebuilt... Could have got it for 1750 but I went with some " better " parts so I was told...

8. starsandstripes

everyone that I have talked to say ALWAYS plow in 1st gear, is this the norm?? what if I am just plowing small residential drives? It would seem like you go through alot of gears? Whats do you guys say?

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

3 comments
    - I'll buy your truck for $2,500
    - You can install yourself, no snow in the forcast for a week (maybe thurs)
    - Just shift it normal, doing drives you won't get out of first anyway.

10. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

put it in the garage for your next of kin

11. starsandstripes

Oh, I forgot to mention its a 7.4 Gas engine??? NICHLOS are you serious, with the plow 5900.00?

12. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think he was saying just the truck. He has a plow for one already

13. starsandstripes

how about an extra 500.00 then, maybe 3000.00??

14. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

15. starsandstripes

Wow Paul, thanks for the input, are you all like that out there. My truck has been awesome and everyone thinks that i should sell it. Not me, but I do have a price.