1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Drewster2012, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

SO within the next year i am going to be buying a brand new truck... looking at the chevy/gmc 2500hd, now i cant decide gas or diesel! its going to be regular cab short box work truck 4x4, im going to be plowing driveways and towing a trailer in the summer. but the diesel is about 8k more, is it really worth it for plowing?

2. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

no the new diesels arent worth it unless your towing some serious weight. The new diesels of all three major brands have been having alot of problems associated with the stricter emissions regulations. If I were you I would get a gasser for more reliability, less downtime, and more money in your pocket by saving the 8,000. If you were buying an older truck then Id say you could get whichever you want but if you arent hauling huge loads then gasser is the way to go imo.

3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I have an 04 2500 chevy extended cab regular bed(6.3) with a gas 6.0. I plow and trailer a 5th/gooseneck. I regret not buying the diesel. Granted I am towing 12,000# or more sometimes.

If you do alot of plowing and are towing on the upper ends of your weight limits and live in a hilly area get the diesel!

My 2 biggest regrets are not getting a crew cab and not having a diesel. Once you plow and tow with a diesel it's hard to go back to gas.. That's just my opinion. I'm currently in the market looking for a 2500/3500. man are they expensive.. Even used ones pre-DEF are almost the price of new gas ones.. Get the diesel. if you don't believe me set up a test drive with the dealer to drive a diesel and a gasser one right after the other so you can see the difference!

4. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

X2

I plow with a gasser and tow with a Dmax... and just had this conversation with the head mechanic and owner of my service shop this past Friday. If you were towing <10K all the time, I would say to go gas. Since I am pulling 12-15K daily, my new one later this year will unfortunately will be the larger hit to the checkbook.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have both a gasser and a diesel in the exact same set up. Granted they are 12 years apart but the diesel cost less per year to operate when you factor in everything. The gasser is just shy of 400,000km and the diesel is at 300,000km. [​IMG]

6. Drewster2012

from Ma

Cool pic! I really am leaning toward the diesel but if I go diesel I may as we'll go diesel crew cab.. Or loaded crew cab gas.. Either way in a few years I'll get another truck anyway so to me it would be loaded gas or basic diesel work truck

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can't justify the extra 8k in any way, don't get it. The fuel mileage gains just aren't there anymore, they are more expensive to maintain, and if your not towing 15k or more daily you simply do not need the diesel anymore.

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I still struggle with this too

Sometimes when moving a big skid or ex I wish I had a diesel. But 6/7 days a week I'm perfectly content with gas.

9. Drewster2012

from Ma

I just think a ccsb may be a little disappointment mpg wise but the savings of the 8k can pay for that extra gas!

10. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

And most of these fine gentlemens examples aren't really valid for brand new gas vs brand new diesel. I mean, come on, Mr. Markus is comparing an old gasser to a modern diesel, of course the diesel is going to be better.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow, tow, and daily drive a diesel. Is it sweet? Yes. Is it always necessary? No.

Most of the guys that plow for my boss run diesels, mainly duramax trucks but there's a cummins in there too. One guy has a 2011 cc/sb 2500HD with the 6.0 gas, aside from the 8611 on a Chevy 4500 he has the biggest blade at 9.6'. He plows just as much as the rest of us do, can get fuel wherever he wants, and when it's very cold like this winter has been guess who doesn't have to worry about gelling up, additive, bio blend diesel, etc?

My boss plows with a duramax, tows with either a duramax or a powerstroke, and daily drives a 6.0 gas 2500HD. For around town use the gas truck is hard to beat, responsive, nearly instant heat, cheap to run, quiet, etc.

If I didn't have my gooseneck trailer my next pickup would be gas, no question about it. The new gas motors with the newer 6spd automatics are pretty nice, tune one and be even happier.

12. Fuel filters, DEF, oil changes, Diesel selling for $1.10-$1.20 more a gallon, unless your running 8 or more hours a day or pulling loads that require a DOT number, save 7k on the engine and 1k on the transmission---buy gas. The shortest 2500 HD is a regular cab long bed--short beds for CC only, and forget about a fifth wheel trailer with a short box.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You know something the thousands who do it daily don't know?

14. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

I was debating same thing, gas diesel. Figured by going to gas, would be saving the 8k which would buy a new plow and a few extra lights...

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

When you stop focusing on the upfront $8k extra knowing it is recoupable in resale or when amoritized over the life of the truck at about $84/mth (based on 8 years) I think diesel is the better choise. JMO

16. Yes, I do. You know that a fifth wheel should be mounted ahead of your rear axle, that gives you about 2ft to the back of your cab with a 5ft toy box CC. IF you can live with a limited turning radius pulling a goose neck flatbed and you know what you are doing you will be ok. Hook up to box or RV travel trailer and you will have issues like thousands who have tried.

17. The big picture is not just focusing on the $8k or $84 a month bigger payment but all the other pros and cons. In the bottom of the market 5 years ago I took a long hard look at oil burners, and I kept getting the wrong answer. The BOSS plow comes in handy pushing Lake Ontario out of my way every winter. You might very well be better off with them smokers than a gasser, but 9 times out of 10 people buy them out of want and not need.

18. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Why in the hell would anybody WANT to spend an extra 8K if they don't have to assuming the rest of the truck is exactly the same? That's a dumb comment. And what in the hell does your Boss plow plowing Lake Ontario have to do with this conversation?

19. JustJeff

Don't know about you, but I have yet to have any problems related to my exhaust. Why are people always commenting on something that they don't have first hand knowledge of? Have YOU driven all three manufacturer's diesels, and experienced these problems, or are you just repeating third-hand crap that's been twisted or incorrect in the first place?

20. JustJeff

To the OP, someone above mentioned how gas engines (and new trucks in general) have come a long way. I completely agree with this. If you were considering buying one strictly to plow with, I'd personally skip it. But if you're doing a lot of heavy towing when not plowing I'd consider it. If you were happy with how your older gas truck handled the load, I think you'll be very impressed with the newer gas/truck combinations. If you were disappointed with how your old truck handled it, I'd consider the diesel. Do as someone mentioned above, go to a dealership and drive both back to back.