1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500... leaking fluid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CK82, Dec 19, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

My chevy silverado 2500 (454,7.4 liter), is leaking or shows fluid from a hose and drain plug on the drivers side of the radiator or trans cooler, not sure which one it is. There also is some fluid under the center of the radiator right in front of the fan, the coolant level is fine, trans seems fine, power steering is in between the hot and cold line when hot. The fluid that is leaking is darker in color with a hint of red and there was also a spot that looked almost green, which would be coolant except that the coolant I run is orange. I just had the trans system flushed, the hoses to the radiator have had fluid residue on them before and more so after the flush. I think the fluid under the radiator is from on of the hose on the drivers side that ran down the radiator, but I'm not sure. I am hoping that it is only a bad seal or drain plug and a bad seal from the hose. Some mechanical knowledge would help, I dont want to be paying to fix something that doesnt need it or fixing somethign myself that doesnt need it.

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I'm going to guess oil cooler hoses...............a good inspection should confirm, These engines were also infamous for the corners of the intake manifold (especially the LF corner) to develop coolant leaks. Good luck.